General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

BBC iPlayer gone AWOL

•   Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have been watching the above for yonks with no problems until yesterday (and again today). When I click on the desktop shortcut icon for BBC iPlayer the following message appears on the screen as follows"-

The target "" of this Internet shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I have deleted it, dumped it in the recycle bin and reloaded it, but the same message comes up.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: BBC iPlayer gone AWOL

•   Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

PLEASE - there must be someone out there who knows what this message means. I want my BBC iPlayer back!!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Load the BBC main news site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ and select the iPlayer from there....

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Lost my IPlayer too! Had a message come up and clicked on 'Do Nothing' as suggested, but also clicked on 'Do not show this message again'. Mistake! Now all seems normal until I ask it to download a programme, but nothing downloads!! Un-installed BBC IPlayer and re-installed it several times without any success. Will try and re-install using the URL suggested above, and keep my fingers crossed.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent update I downloaded.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Nope! Tried the link above, but still nothing.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

The link didn't work for me either. At first I thought it had, because all the gubbins came on the screen, so I clicked on IPlayer and then a programme, it came on immediately with all the surrounding headings and info at the bottom, but absolutely no programme or sound, just a blank square where a programme would have been. More suggestions please. BTW I can get it on my Kindle and on my Net book, but not on main PC. Like PapaBravo I'm beginning to wonder if it might be something that I've updated.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have any of you having problems been able to resolve them yet? I'm beginning to suspect it just MIGHT be Avast because they have just flashed up on the screen that for $39.99 a year I can by pass all restrictions using their VPN!!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Hi guys, you that similar problems, have you managed to solve them yet because I haven't!!

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

I don't have Avast and still have the IPlayer problem - cannot download anything. I have another computer with IPlayer and it says an update is available, but I have NOT updated and it still works fine!!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I guess I'm going to have to go to my computer man because I do miss watching Channel 4 and the documentaries they have on. With iplayer I can sit and watch when I want and not when its live, much more convenient!!

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Sophie, please let us know how you get on. Thank you. PB

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

sophie.

It may be your vpn, I am using Multimax and their vpn works fine with all UK TV stations.
You mentioned in your last post that you enjoy Channel4 this is not on BBC Iplayer.
We download from the BBC every night with no problems.
I would let your I.T. man look at this problem for you, it will be the quickest way.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

I have a Multimax VPN, but still cannot get IPlayer to download. Waiting with bated breath to see what Sophie's computer man comes up with.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

karmels. I'm not quite sure you understand the problem. BBCiPlayer is not the same as the LIVE programmes that I can get via Multimax. They are just fine. What I can't get and miss (the same as PapaBravo) are the programmes on iplayer which are broadcast the day after they are live, so that if you want to watch, say Eastenders (God forbid!!) you can watch 4 or 5 in one go. E.g last night on my net book I watched a documentary on BBC iPlayer Channel 4 which was first broadcast back in 2010. I just can't get it any longer on my PC. Will keep you posted PB, have no fear.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

HI sophie, Yes I do understand as I am using the BBC Iplayer, I down loaded celebrity Master chef after midnight this morning.
Have you contacted an IT person to help, it won't cost a lot, if you are using a laptop you could take it to one of the computer shops for them to check for the problem.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I had the same thing last year with all the problems mentioned here. This all happened after I was asked to update my Adobe flash player. I searched through all the forums and somebody suggested to get rid of all vestiges of that particular adobe flash and then download the previous version. That worked for some time, but after some month the problem came back and I haven't bothered since. Too much effort, I make do with Digiturk and BBC entertainment and knowledge

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

dippersgirl, you've set me wondering now. I usually say NO to endless updating from Flash, but sometimes you have to update the latest "whatever" if you want to see something on the web. I'll see what I can do.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

That's exactly what happened the second time, I refused the updates on BBC I-player, but then on another site, I said yes, forgetting the I-player................

Check out the BBC's own forum on I-player

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I have been getting BBCI Player OK until tonight when the screen showed a message saying I Player not available because of technical problems. I gather this IS down to the Beeb, not ISP etc.

I can get radio live, but not "listen again" or "on demand". I gather the BBC have been making a lot of changes to I Player recently so it may be worth waiting to see if above probs are connected - on the other hand I may be joining you in having lost it completely.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

It seems that BBC may be having problems all round. Digiturk has lost BBC news, BBC Entertainment, BBC Knowledge but then again it could be Digiturk themselves because Hıstory channels and a few more had disappeared as well.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Hi sophie BBC are having tech problems, I am unable to open Iplayer as it is saying they are having problems.
My good lady searched the problem and got this information from the telegraph web page, saying they ( BBC ) were having problems with their web server in short.
Keep your chin up it will all resolve itself come sunup ?????

madamx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Post by madamx »

We use a Roku Box for the BBC iPlayer, http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA==/ ... N/$_12.JPG
comes pre loaded, but if you can get someone to load all the other TV channels,
before bringing it from UK to TRNC, you should get BBC,Channel 4 & 5 Players, and more,
for on demand viewing only.
You can also stream most files from your PC/Laptop etc too.
Have a look at the Roku site for all options...
https://www.roku.com/uk/choose-your-roku
You can check online for other offers

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Madamx which channels did you get preloaded? I looked at the Roku website and it seems to suggest that it comes with 500 channels already loaded and I assumed you would get all of the UK free to air channels or is this not so?

madamx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Post by madamx »

Hi judyvin,
Sorry, can't help you there, we were given ours preloaded, as a present.
I do know they should be loaded in the UK before bringing them to TRNC.
They then do not require a VPN,
and will work fine when connected.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Sophie, it turns out to be my browser (Google Chrome) that is causing the problem. If I use Firefox or Internet Explorer to download programmes on BBC IPlayer I have no problems. Hope this works for you.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

PB, we've been down that road and it still doesn't work. I've never used Chrome. only IE. Still the same scenario - everything is fine i.e. all the wording on the screen, logos, menu of what's on and on which channel, but no actual picture comes on in the centre of the screen. NTV, Film On work perfectly, its just BBC iPlayer. Very strange!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”