Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet explorer ceased working - any ideas please

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

Hi,
Three days ago a friend who lives 100 metres away told me his Internet Explorer had ceased to function, every time he tried to start it, it put up a box to say that there was a fault and it was closing down, followed by another box saying that this would be reported to Microsoft and any possible repair would be reported back. I had a brief look at his laptop and was unable to help, he thought it had started after a recent update. Two days later, my laptop has the same problem. I have had a good go at this and no joy at all. Any thoughts on this please. My friend is running on Vista, I am on Windows 7 and we both run Avast protection and both systems recently received downloads from Avast and Microsoft and neither of us can get System Restore to restore, says something about a missing file.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet explorer ceased working - any ideas please

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Just realised that when my Hotmail(outlook) stopped working, I has also had an update on Windows7.and am also with Avast. It played up all day, but is OK now.fingers crossed

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

I had the same problem on my laptop running windows 7 and avast. I did a system restore back to about 2 months ago and it sorted it for me.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by erol »

There does seem to be quite a long history of Avast causing problems with IE it would seem

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138156.0

BOERBOEL
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by BOERBOEL »

Go into control panel and then select internet options and select advanced then click reset at the bottom you should then be ok

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

Thanks for the replies. Will pursue them in due course if the problem returns. For the present, I read somewhere that Goggle Tool Bar might be the problem and although I have had it for some time now, I have removed it and Internet Explorer is working normally again. Just keeping fingers crossed now. Thanks again.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”