General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Main electric fuse catches fire

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Couldn't work out what the burning smell was outside the apartment this morning. A neighbour then knocked on the door this afternoon to warn me that our main fuse next to our electric meter was on fire!
The fuse was glowing red hot, the wires burning and the backing board was smouldering. Switched off the electricity via the separate on/off switch and my Turkish neighbour called Kibtek.

Kibtek said they would attend in an hour and they turned up in 20 minutes. The 2 electricians took out the fuse and holder which had melted, then cut back the burned wires and just twisted them together with tape so electric back on. I now have to go into Kibtek on Monday, pay for a repair and they will come back. Electric back, on thank goodness in the meantime.

They did say I could still use aircon etc no problem.

I have had aircon running, only one unit, all night though. Has that caused the overload?

Question is, is that still safe? I have a number of aircon units, which although I'm not going to, I should be able to have on, all at the same time I thought.

I'm now worried about overloading the electric system if I use an aircon unit.

Any advice appreciated.

Aitchie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Main electric fuse catches fire

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Aitchie »

Hector
Your problem sounds to me like more of a loose connection fault than an overload situation, your fuse would protect from overload but the loose connection creates spark and heat because of the circuit loading at the time, if kibtek have reconnected all should be well so dont be afraid to use your aircon.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Thank you Aitchie that is helpful and puts my mind at rest.

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Whilst on the subject of electrical fires: Please switch off fans at the mains when unattended. I got up in the night once, and could smell burning in the lounge. It was the electric fan, the housing of the motor was just melting and brown and smouldering. We had been using this fan for months, and leaving it switched off on the unit only with no problem. For the first time in my life, I was glad to be a bit of an insomniac, just imagine what might have happened if I hadn't got up. In fact, I can now remember a similar problem with a re-chargeable lamp. So do as we do and switch everything off at the mains.

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

still on the subject of accidental electrical fires, if you keep your hairdryer in a drawer after use, always make sure it's switched off at the mains, because a movement in the drawer could accidently switch the hairdryer back on and cause a fire. I saw this on a TV programme once, and now always switch mine off at the socket.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I can really relate re the fan. The oscillating free standing fan in our bedroom just collapsed a few days ago, in the middle of the night when the fan top literally fell off when the plastic casing cracked completely in half. The fan was still going whilst hanging down on it's electrical wiring. Oh you get such quality these days!

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

A bit off topic, but I have seen several articles re cookery, where it is suggested that to do cheese on toast, turn the toaster on its side. Also seen article by the fire brigade saying NO IT IS DANGEROUS!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Ooops! During the recent heat waive Ive been leaving an electric fan running on low when going out for the benefit of my dogs . From the above it seems Im actually putting them ((as well as my house) at even greater risk!

For avoid upsetting Philoz and the mods, Im putting a further post on this in the Pets section for anyone interested.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Just as an aside............ I bet you never knew this, but an electric kettle has a tendency to melt when placed on a gas ring!! Busy chatting away, not paying attention and wallop. One electric kettle with no base and a hell of a lot of black goooo all over the place. I blame it on the temperature or age (preferably the ambient temperature). The old man says if he'd done it, I would have well nigh killed him, but as I did it, it was of no importance.

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

If you do cheese on toast in a toaster laid down on its side, surely your cheese on toast is going to fly across the kitchen when the toaster goes 'ping!'

Sorry, off topic
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

Years ago at the Ship Inn they had a notice by the toasting machine telling people not to put anything on their bread before using it.

Apparently, some people were putting butter etc on their bread before toasting it.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I am still laughing CatalkoyChris at the picture, Never thought of that.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”