General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

surfmeetseast
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

water pipeline coming in

•   Message 1 of 52 in Discussion

Post by surfmeetseast »

We have an amazing view up here at Kayalar, of two long sections of the water pipeline being towed in by tugs. I guess they use diving teams to lay it.
It passes a hot afternoon watching through the binos

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: water pipeline coming in

•   Message 2 of 52 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If I was you I'd stick the binos on a tripod and start charging 50krs a peep

surfmeetseast
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 52 in Discussion

Post by surfmeetseast »

Haha! Good idea Sophie. It is quite interesting to watch, they are still all out there, but cannot make out the plan. They are still drifting around with 2 long sections of pipe...

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

They probably don't know the plan either!!!!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Yenidunya2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Yenidunya2 »

Owl lady. What justification do you have for such a remark? This project is unique i.e. never been done before any where else in the world.
This constant bashing of Turkey and the TRNC does no one any good. I'm sure that in your country of origin every project goes to plan and on time within budget. Support this project, it's going to bring huge benefits to people especially in Nicosia and Famagusta who have to live with poor water quality. I suggest you shut up and comment on things you actually know something about! Are there any?

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Sorry Tony didn't mean to be offensive. It was meant as a joke. I do appreciate this is a brilliant project and have watched the videos with interest. I was also very pleased to see that Telebourg, the construction company had so many Scoucers on the team!!!Once again sorry!!

surfmeetseast
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 52 in Discussion

Post by surfmeetseast »

Sorry, did not mean to start another war on here! My hubby and I are genuinely interested and enjoying the sight of the pipeline which is a great feat of engineering. The dam is also beautifully stone clad. Its not a competition folks.....

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

It was a joke for heavans sake!!!!

It certainly wasn't Turkey or TRNC 'bashing'.

I actually found your comments more rude and offensive.

Get a sense of humour please!!!!

Rosie

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I think the pipeline is a brilliant project and one that must benefit Cyprus enormously. I see large stockpiles of huge black water pipes on the side of the road at various places, when will work start on laying them?

I've also heard various rumours about electricity and communication cables also coming with the water pipeline. Is that correct? If so boy, would that make a difference.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 52 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Had lunch at a place that was facing the sea and there is obviously movement out at sea but well away from Kayala as yet. Looked like a tug or something like, which appeared to have yards and yards of snakelike something or other behind it. It was not moving but moored out at sea hundreds of yards off Lapta.

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

Hector wrote:I think the pipeline is a brilliant project and one that must benefit Cyprus enormously. I see large stockpiles of huge black water pipes on the side of the road at various places, when will work start on laying them?

I've also heard various rumours about electricity and communication cables also coming with the water pipeline. Is that correct? If so boy, would that make a difference.
Hi!

Sorry to disappoint you but even if they did bring in the electricity and communication cables it certainly wouldn't be any better. After having lived on the mainland for a good few years I can promise you it's not any better at all. There are just as many power cuts there as there are here-and water cuts.

We lived in Dalaman-not far from the airport-so not exactly in the middle of nowhere-but we still had frequent and long power cuts.

We have a generator on our site here-brilliant!!

Rosie

surfmeetseast
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 52 in Discussion

Post by surfmeetseast »

Well I think I can see what they are doing, there are several long sections of pipe and several tugs. I think they are anchoring them up to lay down all together.
Sorry rose hill girl that you are feeling negative about this.
Personally I am happy to live in this beautiful country, and deal with the shortcomings. Never want to go back to theUK ever. But its a subjective thing.

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

surfmeetseast wrote:Well I think I can see what they are doing, there are several long sections of pipe and several tugs. I think they are anchoring them up to lay down all together.
Sorry rose hill girl that you are feeling negative about this.
Personally I am happy to live in this beautiful country, and deal with the shortcomings. Never want to go back to theUK ever. But its a subjective thing.
I just love it when someone completely twists around what I say-just so they can have a 'dig'

Where was I feeling negative about the WATER pipeline????? Personally I think it's great-a wonderful feat of engineering.

I commented on the FACT that the ELECTRICITY supply in mainland Turkey is as erratic as it is in the TRNC (I should know-lived there for years). Suddenly, according to you, I'm rubbishing the island and wanting to go back to the UK??

What are you on?

Rosie

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 52 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Rosehillgirl.
Don't let them grind you down, I have noticed over the last few weeks people having a go for no reason.
I or should I say we have been to Turkey for the last 7 years on the boat and last year by car, and YES Turkey has a big problem with power cuts that last 3 or more hours a day, and it happens every day.
We now have not so many cuts in power in the TRNC like the dark days of the early 90s when it went off for days.
The pipe line is the biggest project of this type in the world, lets embrace the fact it is happening in the TRNC.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

surfmeetseast
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 52 in Discussion

Post by surfmeetseast »

Well I find it really sad that the mundane thread I started has managed to upset people and start them bitching, but I notice that happens on many threads on this forum, touch of the 44s. I am not confrontational and apologise Rose hill girl if you feel I twisted your words, there was no intention meant. Shall not be bothering to join in any discussion in future, have a real life to get on with that does not include moaning

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

surfmeetseast wrote:Well I find it really sad that the mundane thread I started has managed to upset people and start them bitching, but I notice that happens on many threads on this forum, touch of the 44s. I am not confrontational and apologise Rose hill girl if you feel I twisted your words, there was no intention meant. Shall not be bothering to join in any discussion in future, have a real life to get on with that does not include moaning
surfmeetseast - don't be too hasty - everybody is entitled to a view and nobody can set the agenda for everyone - this board is a bit like the banter in a pub - someone is bound to put their foot in it now and again - heaven knows I have!
But it can be useful to get other people's perspective... I'm sure no ill feeling was intended I think Tony didn't quite get the joke and that started a bit of a conflict... in his defence, he's been here for about 30 years and gets rather sensitive about his chosen home and a bit fed-up with the naysayers.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Thanks Groucho,I think the heat is getting to some! We have probably all "put our foot in it" on here at some time.(remember BRS)
Although I have not lived here as long as Tony, I have been coming since 1972 and decided in 1984 that we wanted to live here. It took till 2005 to physically move here, but I would not knock it, as I love it warts and all. I went back to the UK 7 years ago for the last time.

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

Hi,

I would like to say that I don't want anyone leaving a forum on my behalf-I was simply defending myself. I felt quite miffed that anyone could accuse me of being negative.

For the record-I love the TRNC. I lived here for a long time before we went over to Turkey in 2005. Due to the escalating problems in Turkey with the present AKP government we sold up last year and returned here.

I think the water pipeline project is fantastic. It's been many years in the planning. The project was discussed before we left in 2005-it's great to be here to see all the talking turned into something so unique and something that will benefit everyone on the island.

I am very positive about the TRNC. For those of us that were here many years ago the place it is now bears no relation to what it was years ago.

I know that people complain about the bureaucracy etc here-but seriously it is so much worse in Turkey-this is a breeze by comparison.

Rosie

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I had friends here for several years, who decided to move to Turkey for a change. Big mistake almost everything was more expensive, they also had the same dog poisoned twice, so it's not just here. They have now moved to Bulgaria as it is the nearest point and they can take the dog shortly. I wish them luck.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Are they posting any progress reports on the pipeline and laying of the water pipes on the island?

cyprusgaz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 52 in Discussion

Post by cyprusgaz »

Yenidunya2 wrote:Owl lady. What justification do you have for such a remark? This project is unique i.e. never been done before any where else in the world.
This constant bashing of Turkey and the TRNC does no one any good. I'm sure that in your country of origin every project goes to plan and on time within budget. Support this project, it's going to bring huge benefits to people especially in Nicosia and Famagusta who have to live with poor water quality. I suggest you shut up and comment on things you actually know something about! Are there any?
What a dreadful response. Looking like a Cyprus 44 tactic.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Still wondering if there are progress reports on when the pipeline will be connected here and the water pipes laid across the north. I see that in Cyprus Today, page 6, that a spokesman for the Turkish Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs said all components were ready and the project should be finished within 3 months. The pipeline is due to bring 75 million tonnes of water a year to the TRNC. The water cannot come too son. On page 15, the headline is 'TRNC on the brink of environmental disaster' as trees and plants on the highest slopes have started to show signs of drying out in the excessive drought conditions. The largest reservoir has run completely dry and the TRNC's remaining 17 reservoirs are at 'record lows' at only 18% full.

rosiesmidge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 52 in Discussion

Post by rosiesmidge »

Looks like this wonderful project can't come a moment too soon

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 52 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

My understanding is that this water will not be of any benefit to the island this year. My waterman tells me that it will take a year to fill the reservoir and only then will it be piped to the customers. Therefore it can be reasonably be assumed that the majority of internal pipe laying will take place over the next twelve months or so. He also tells me that half the water is for domestic consumption and the rest for the farmers and growers. Having said that, he went on to say, that for the first five years or so, all the agricultural water will be sent to the Guzelyurt area to allow replenishment of the local water table as the water they have been using has become brakish.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

"My understanding is that this water will not be of any benefit to the island this year. My waterman tells me that it will take a year to fill the reservoir and only then will it be piped to the customers. Therefore it can be reasonably be assumed that the majority of internal pipe laying will take place over the next twelve months or so. He also tells me that half the water is for domestic consumption and the rest for the farmers and growers. Having said that, he went on to say, that for the first five years or so, all the agricultural water will be sent to the Guzelyurt area to allow replenishment of the local water table as the water they have been using has become brakish."

Why is it that this sort of information isn't made more publicly or officially available by the powers that be? What pc4854 kindly reports is going to happen is reasonable and I can understand the reasons.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 52 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I must first say that I am NOT knocking he TRNC but I am simply using commen sence here!

The project may well be finished in 3 months time but the water that the project will bring to the Island will not be seen flowing through the Islands pipeline for many, many months after that! Just look at the piles of water pipe you can now see alongside most major routes, where is it going to go? Even if it is laid on top of the ground it will take months and months just to do that, if it is going underground then stand by for mass disruption to the main roads and add even more months to get the work done.

This is not just a case of running some 25mm black plastic pipe from the damn to the house - this project (on Island) is huge and will take a very long time. The water, when it gets here, may slow down a major environmental disaster but unless something is done about the waste of water, in swimming pools in particular, I do not see how even 75 million tonnes will stop a disaster!

I hope not but it may be a case of too little too late now.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Might be a bit thick here.If they can put water into reservoir,why is it not possible to use existing services?Surely they are still functioning otherwise be no water now!Even if it is in short supply.I understood the work from pumping station to reservoir is complete.
Once the undersea pipeline is complete should be ready to start filling new extended reservoir.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I could be way off the mark here, but I am sure I read that it will take MONTHS to fill once the water starts to flow from Turkey, Am I correct?

Aitchie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Aitchie »

How long do you think it would take to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool from a kitchen tap?

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Doesn't have to be full to ease water shortage!! Half full of original reservoir would more than likely ease current situation.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 52 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Aitchie wrote:How long do you think it would take to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool from a kitchen tap?
Olympic pool with depth of 2m would hold 660,000 US gallons of water. An average household tap has a flow rate of 2 US gallons a minute, so 330,000 minutes or 55,000 hours or aprox 230 days or approx. 7.5 months

Aitchie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Aitchie »

Well done Errol, now as I see it this is all relative to what is going to happen when they turn on the pump (tap) in Turkey, and send the water to fill the reservoir (pool) here in TRNC. The time scale will be different of course as the ratio between the "tap" and the "pool" will be different, but as Errol has just demonstrated a period of months to fill will be expected. Of course it could be used when part filled but depending on the output to input ratio it would then probably take years to fill, AND the infrastructure would have to be there to transport to the users, is it there now?

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Does the water not come from there now? In a normal season here,rain will part fill it anyway.Unless it is unusually wet here,it will probably never fill to capacity.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 52 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Speaking to a good friend of mine last week (he is in the construction groundworks biz) and he was telling me that the pumping will start to fill the dam later this year he thinks Nov/Dec at earliest and don't get exited about getting water anytime soon as Lefkosa and Gazimauza will be piped up first and then areas like Lapta, Alsancak, Girne and up the east side after.
He tells me that water to areas mentioned above won't arrive until 2016/7.

Sorry to disappoint !

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

Yes Turtle-I think that's probably a fair estimation your friend gave you.

Bringing it to the island is one thing but the distribution is an equally massive project-but at least it's underway.

I remember years ago when it was just a pipe dream (sorry-couldn't resist that!!!!) no-one actually thought it would come to fruition-and yet here it is-almost with us.

Rosie

JBA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 52 in Discussion

Post by JBA »

Another aspect of this was brought to my attention the other day.

It was pointed out that no matter how much water is available on the island we will never be permitted to water gardens, wash cars or top up pools because the government cannot let the water carriers go out of business. The water carriers are vital to the emergency services as they are the only way to get water to wildfires as fire engines carry only a small reserve. If they go out of business then the government will have to buy up the vehicles, find strategic places to park and fill them and employ staff to maintain and drive them - a service currently provided free by the carriers.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 52 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

JBA, think you may have a point there - but it will not stop people washing cars, watering gardens nor topping up the swimming pools no matter how little water there is. There is limited well water available anyway and to say that everyone with a pool only tops up from a well or uses a tanker supplier to top up the pool is a monster lie.
Just for fun I went to Google Earth @ 35 21'16.00N 33 08'51.29E with Eye Alt of 560m - go on and have a count of the pools in that one small area of development!!!
At an average use of 50 tonnes of water a year (top up & backwash alone) per average size pool on that small area there are more than 50 pools - or 2,500 tonnes of water use a year!!!
I only used pools as an example as you can see them from Google Earth where you can't see cars being washed or gardens being watered - nothing agains pools myself but the waste in water for a personal pool is not really something the TRNC can support for much longer.
The South has always been short of water yet check out Google Earth for how many swimming pools there are in the RoC compared to the TRNC then ask where the water waste is!!!

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 52 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

Another thought on what the water may or may not be used for. I understand that the pipeline will deliver enough water for the whole island to use and in addition I think it was muted that there would be enough spare capacity to supply water to Israel as well. Well as at this moment in time the Greek side wouldn't touch Turkish water with a barge pole, it seems reasonable to me that TRNC will soon become awash with it. I assume as someone else has already mentioned that the distribution pipes will direct water to the existing water supply systems and that we will be charged for usage through our existing meters. So it seems more likely to me given the above that they will be very happy to let you use the water for any purpose. In addition it would seem to be a nice little earner for the TRNC as my waterman assures me that the system and it's product are a free gift to the Turkish Cypriot people from the Turkish people, so if they get it for free, they will want to sell as much as they can.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I assumed that after the last census we would be taxed if we had a pool. That was one of the questions "do you have a pool" and there is an 8m x4m hole in the patio, full of water.! I would be quite prepared to pay a tax, if I thought the money would be used to bore for wells or new infrastructure.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

The builders have a vested interest in building homes with swimming pools, ours wanted 15k more to put one in, we politely declined much to his dismay. I could never understand why a place with so little water had so many swimming pools.

dodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 52 in Discussion

Post by dodger »

turtle wrote:Speaking to a good friend of mine last week (he is in the construction groundworks biz) and he was telling me that the pumping will start to fill the dam later this year he thinks Nov/Dec at earliest and don't get exited about getting water anytime soon as Lefkosa and Gazimauza will be piped up first and then areas like Lapta, Alsancak, Girne and up the east side after.
He tells me that water to areas mentioned above won't arrive until 2016/7.

Sorry to disappoint !
As alaways tats, bob on.

Aitchie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Aitchie »

PC4854
" So it seems more likely to me given the above that they will be very happy to let you use the water for any purpose. In addition it would seem to be a nice little earner for the TRNC as my waterman assures me that the system and it's product are a free gift to the Turkish Cypriot people from the Turkish people, so if they get it for free, they will want to sell as much as they can"

It seems to me the TRNC has a nice little earner as it is, in Lapta aparently they charge for 10 ton whether you use it or not then they cut the supply off and you have to pay for a tanker as well as the 10 ton you havn't used! I am not on a meter as yet so can anyone tell me if they operate a credit system with the water unused from the 10 ton?

Aitchie

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Aitchie,I assume that question was "a Joke"?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 52 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If the govt wanted to make real money then it would take work, unless they wanted to farm out the work and just take a percentage! So, want to set up a business? Easy, with govt authority and backing! Knock on any door, ask some easy questions then apply the fines or collect the tax as appropriate!
Do you have a pool? What is the name/phone number of your tanker supplier? How much water have you purchased this year and what were you charged?
Now you have everything you need. Not bought any water - fined for using mains water and meter disconnected!
Tanker owner not paid income tax on money earned - fined for tax evasion!
The income would be huge and for little work, the big bonus would be in the proper management of the existing water!
Then again, it would need people to get out of the coffee shop, so it won't happen.

Aitchie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Aitchie »

Owl Lady
A statement with 'tongue in cheek'

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 52 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

Don't think they would have to go that far Waddo surely if the water meters are working properly and they are read every month, then all they have to do is ask their computers who is using more than average.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Just checking Aitchie, as I get into trouble when I try to "joke". Incidentally I was charged for" 26 tons" a couple of years ago, highest, even with visitors was 6 tons a month. 3 on my own. I was advised I could pay to have the meter tested, it would be found to be OK and I would still have to pay the bill. That was from the Muhtar's office.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 52 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Folks, accept we are viewed as 'yabancı nakit ineği' and get on with our lives here (or not as the case may, individually, be). There are just too many instances of double pricing, refusal of beledyies to repay over-charging for water, street lighting charges, property taxes, only ex pats to pay, only 3 years driving licences etc, etc to even consider the system will change. Do not let the frustrations put you in an early grave, just live the life you can. Sorry if I have gone off track here.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 52 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Tomsteel, before I get accused of Turkey and TRNC bashing, I was only stating a fact. As I have said many time I love this country warts and all, don't intend to go anywhere except in the hole in the ground with my late husband. Ok

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”