The show must go on,,,Johnny-Lee's tribute to George Roper.

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

spider
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

The show must go on,,,Johnny-Lee's tribute to George Roper.

•   Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

Post by spider »

Hi all I have been asked to post this info on here for you all to make a date into your diaries Its party time

July 19th . Johnny-Lee's tribute to George Roper, All monies donated to Tulips Cancer Charity, Start time 4pm for fun in the pool time, followed with music and dance in the evening. entrance ,fee only 5tl, to be included into a lucky draw to win cash prize, Pool games to commence early evening, including children's inflatable race.( bring your own inflatable ) evening quick quiz and raffle, with excellent prizes. Disco, plus live entertainers to be announced. Please come and support a wonderful cause for a true gentleman. Start time 4pm till late, Haci Ali Hotel .Lapta Strip.

Entertainers so far are, Johnny-Lee, Jamie Vincent, The Man in Black. Stevie D along with DJ Mike.

For all who have Facebook here is the link to the event page, please join and invite friends and for those who do not have Facebook please make a not of this date, Thank you all and hope to see many of you there joining in all the fun in remembering such a '' Top Man '' as George Roper.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2544296 ... r=upcoming

For further information, offers of help, or donations please contact Johnny-Lee 0533 843 6539 or Myself Maria 0533 839 5561.

Thanks.

Spider,X
Lets be nice to each other and help make this world a better place to live.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The show must go on,,,Johnny-Lee's tribute to George Rop

•   Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Maria (Spider) don't look so surprised Iv'e joined Kibcom I almost said Kibtec (wev'e all joined that).

Thank You for helping me with this event and lets hope it's a good one in Georges memory and we raise a few Lira for his chosen cause.

Also very grateful for you setting up the Face book events page.

Thank You also to all the people who have pledged help and support, picked up some very nice prizes today from Sue Tilt.

So the place to be on Sat the 19th July Haci Ali Lapta. Just Stunning!

spider
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Post by spider »

good afternoon all, hope you are keeping cool in this heat,,

Just thought I would bring this to the top for Lee,

Spider, x

squashmad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Post by squashmad »

I have seen the Haci Ali and it has a super setting by the sea so should be a good night!

tulips
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tulips »

Back to the top please.....

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Yes Haci Ali really is a stunning setting probably the finest in the Area, We are staging this event for George Roper.

For those of you who did not know him he was the gentleman responsible for starting the Esentepe fun run with his excellent team, whilst suffering from Cancer himself. He was active right up until the end and the cancer got the better of him.

He said the show must go on. It Will.

The venue is ideal, I could do with some idea on attendance numbers please, also if we have any yougsters wanting to enter the inflatable race (bring your own).

It promises to be great party night,

Unfortunately DJ Mike can not take part, so you get DJ Lee, and Stevie D. Man in Black, and Johnny Lee and also a quick quiz from Rick Entwhistle , our very own Bob Monkhouse.

Please support this event, it really is one of the nicest places to be on a Sat.afternoon/evening.

Thank You any info required please call me on 0533 843 6539

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Yes Haci Ali is a superb setting, probably the best in the area. For those of you who did not have the pleasure of meeting or knowing George. he was the gentleman whom with his team started the Esentepe fun run.

This as now become annual event, raising many thousands of TL for Tulips, George was active right up until the end and said the show must go on. So it will.

So please support us at Haci Ali on July 19th from approx 4.00pm until late.

There will be entertainment form Stevie D. The Man In Black. Johnny Lee, A quick quiz from our very own Bob Monkhouse, (Rick Entwhistle) Quizmaster , We are also hoping for a youngsters inflatable race in the pool, (Bring your own) child and inflatable.

Unfortunately DJ Mike cannot be there so you will get DJ Lee, Raffle with some super prizes.

Haci Ali buffet 25 TL and 5 TL entry only. with all moneys raised going to Tulips.

We have some amazing party nights at this venue, for those of you who do not know it, it is quite stunning.

Huge car park directly opposite.

Reservations please 0392 821 2993 or 0533 843 6539.

We need to know approx numbers please for buffet, also on Face book The Show Must Go On.

Thank You.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Hi Johnny - will not able to make it till later in the evening - what time does the buffet start please?

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Hello Ipman. I will find out from Haci Ali tomorrow, and post for you, but I suspect buffet will be evening with possibly snack menu earlier.

Thank You.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Buffet will be around 7 pm onwards and prior to that snack menu, thanks Ipman.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Many thanks Johnny

tulips
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tulips »

This is going to be a fabulous evening, in a superb setting so please come and join us!

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Hope you are right Tulips and we have a great evening and raise some Lira for the cause. The hotel would like an idea of people requiring the buffet, it is 25 TL and detailed on the face book page, The Show Must Go On.

But if like me you are not familiar with face book , then off the top of my head I think it was , various mezes, roast chicken, Battered white fish fillet, Cheese and macaroni. chips , rice, salad, Fruit. and maybe more I will confirm.

But please book with the Hotel 0392 821 2993, if possible please speak to Ali.

It is 5 TL entry and you will get a ticket for a prize cash draw.

There are 3 singers, Raffle, a short quiz, and fun in the sun in a very beautiful setting. Normally a disco and lots of dancing later in the evening.

Angiebaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Angiebaby »

J.L. Will you be singing at this event, someone mentioned you may be doing Elvis. If so what time please ? we are supposed to go to a birthday party, but we would like to hear your Elvis we saw you at Pia Bella a few years ago. Can we just come for drinks or do we have to dine.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Hello Angiebaby, Yes I plan to sing, but with regards to Elvis, Cyprus Today got the story wrong, some one unknown to me had sent a text saying that they would give 250TL if I would put my Elvis suit on a perform a few numbers.

I said If anyone wanted to up the offer to 500 TL I would do it. It is not much fun wearing the suit in this temperature, plus the fact It will be a bit like Elvis (The Bloated Years).

However I normally sing some of the King. Maybe I will take my suit and wig just in case anyone decides to put the money in the pot.

I don't mind looking a bit daft for 30 minutes for a good cause. Thank You Angie baby.

Also of course we have Steve D. who does an excellent Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash and much more, also Jamie The Man In Black , singing Country and playing Guitar.

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

Tonight is the night!!

Please come along to what promises to be an excellent evening of music and entertainment.

Thankyou

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Winston Churchill

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

A quick update, thank you to the people who turned up, I forgot to mention on the night that yesterday would have been Georges birthday. Only maybe 40 people through out the night. But still a very enjoyable small event .

Thank You Rick the Quiz, Man in Black, Jamie and Steve D. the people present all said how much they enjoyed it. Great performances from you guys and a pleasure to work with you. the music you chose was popular and well known. Ricks Quiz was "simple as usual".

We raised 540 TL less 38 TL expenses. 502 to Tulips.

Thank you to Laconic Computers Alsancak Marie's Corner Bar Alsancak, Esta Insurance, (Anthony McCartney)
Linda Lister, and of course Tulips for some Quality Raffle prizes.

Thank you to you people who came along and took part.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Sorry , big thanks to Maria (Spider) for setting up the page book face due to me being Facebook stupid.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Anyh pics anyone I can put in KKT. Lovely story. Well done Johnny Lee! And all who gave of their time etc. It is great to see that people give their time and talents and energies to help others and for no reward other than knowing they havehelped. So I wanna tell the story. Could you e mail me, lovely man,l with a bit more about it, and some pics???

Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Hi Marion yes I will email you some details over next few days, when is your deadline and thank you so much for your kind comments and interest.

Not sure about piccys, but I will ask.

Regards Lee

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Art »

Well done Lee -sorry Mary and I couldn't make it.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

OK Art maybe next time we will get to see you and Mary, like I said not brilliant on the money side but everyone said they had a excellent evening.

I am always here to help, Steve and Jamie went down well and if you want to organise something your end I am certain that we could deal with the entertainment side of it.

Regards Lee

Angiebaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Angiebaby »

Johnny it was a super evening, every dollar helps, Steve, Jamie and yourself where outstanding you should do more of these shows .Quiz was tough but good quiz master.The setting was the mint we will come again.

Dizzyrascal
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Dizzyrascal »

Well done raising the money for Tulips a very good cause.
Should think that all those involved do give their time free as all involved with the exception of Jamie are not legally entitled to work in TRNC anyway, it would be more questionable if they did anything other than for free at any time!!!!!

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Dizzyrascal, I think you will find Steve is a holidaymaker, basically, Rick performs quizzes for the fun of it and I enjoy helping others.

I would have not set foot out of the UK had I had not been self sufficient, I think if you cant make it in your own country then its going to be mighty difficult abroad.

Also I would not wish to turn a hobby into a job. Heaven forbid the thought of going out to the same empty places night after night and performing the same numbers for few Lira fills me with dread.

Most of the places who are paying the entertainers, by their own admission cannot afford it and if you work out the sums finish up making very little profit . Drink is far to cheap here to sustain this.

It is pathetic the same few people constantly appearing at the same places week in week out. There is hardly enough work to keep the legal entertainers busy in the summer season aprrox. 4 good months if they are lucky, so come winter time they are on guaranteed loser.

No thanks I have a life.

Dizzyrascal
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Dizzyrascal »

JL you do have a point with regards to being self sufficient etc but with all due respect there seems to be many blackboards with Steve and your names on week after week apologises for assuming this was work and not a keep busy on holiday or a hobby!!! Just an observation.

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Art »

There are many entertainers giving their time freely in aid of charity and they have raised many thousands of lira to help those in need-JL and Karl Ruggy and many others have alway supported the Esentepe Fun Run and associated charity events and have never asked for any form of recompense.

They are genuine kind hearted people just trying to help others and long may it continue.

Well done JL and all those who are not driven by personal gain.

Art.

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Post by topten »

I also would like to say that Lee and his lovely wife Jan are selfless in their efforts to help others, and always have these same accusations to be thrown at him. Why he keeps putting his head on the block is because he cannot say no to a deserving cause,so we should be thankful for anyone who gives of their time to help others and look at ourselves to see if we are diong enough.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Thank you for your very very kind comments. Dizzy rascal I think you may be mistaken about my name on black boards,

Not guilty and to be perfectly honest I am not really interested, I have lived here a long time and I have and do pay tax. Please note I also have my own limited company and have had for over 8 years.

If anyone wants to have a knock at me for helping people Bring it On !

I am hoping soon to have a very lovely positive update on Ismail. Please understand that very often when you have suffered serious illness or been close to death it changes you, also of course many people are selfless with out suffering a trauma.

I spent 3.300 TL on equipment just to make sure my sound quality was up to scratch for the Haci Ali event. I will never get that back,

I am constantly turning work down , I think the words over kill spring to mind.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Just to clarify that this i me Marion writing. No other hat being worn.

As someone who has known 'Johnny' and many others like him on this island for some considerable time, I have nothing but praise for all of them. They all try to obey the rules, (which change constantly here) regarding work, and working for charity is a regular minefield. Hence people do what they can for charities who get permission for them to help. Most of these people would do more to help but the red tape often preludes it.

Professional entertainers here have a very tough task and I agree with Lee over this one. But for those who have been blessed with enough to liv eon, they can share their gifts and talents (whether with or without money) to benefit others. And they in turn are 'blessed' for being able to do so. (It is more blessed to give than to receive) . This is NOT the place to come to to get rich, but one comes for a quality of life style that suits (or one leaves)

Don't knock Johnny or any others out there who are trying to help. It is true that not everybody does good from the same base motive, but as long as good is done, then it all adds to life here . If someone is out of order, it quickly becomes apparent, and they leave the island or hide away, or take whatever course of action is necessary(we have seen osme of that in the past) but for the Johnny Lee's and many of the others who try to bring some joy into the lives of others, then I say 'hurray for their being here'.

Ona personal note, those who know me know that I don't support these events, because their kind of music is not mine and I would not inflict mine on anyone. Anyone game to come and listen to my Wagner Ring Cycle - only 16 hours of opera??? But I am always keen to get others to know what is happening that gives pleasure to some folk, gives help to others, and enhances the fact that this is the Island of Love.
OLf course, you don't have to agree with me, but it is sad when those who try to help are publicly berated.

So carry on Johnny (even if you don't look like Elvis, you have as big a heart as he!!!!) and all the other Johnny's on the island. If they break any laws, then they will be caught up with, but one law they are nOT breaking is the law of love.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

barrysnakes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Post by barrysnakes »

Marions I cannot believe you have just posted this yet started a hornets nest on another charity thread in questioning amounts raised ! regards Barry

STEVE DD
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Post by STEVE DD »

Many blackboards?? Can't think of any offhand but if you could let me know then I'll be sure to apologise for not turning up! No good deed goes unpunished eh Lee?

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

What a superb gesture, I have just read in Kibcom times the that gentleman who runs this forum is giving us .

WAIT FOR THIS, 3,000 Lira to put in our Tribute To George Night, The Show Must Go On.

That will have made it an even better evening. Very worthwhile.

How fantastic is this ?

Also many thanks for the article.

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Art »

This is fantastic news and well deserved.

It's great to read a "good news story for a change".

Well done to those involved.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

A question for Dizzy Rascal , sorry I meant to ask yesterday, you said that there are blackboards with my name on, could you tell me when and where please? I am curious. Thank You.

spider
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Post by spider »

Great to read that everyone has a great evening , so sorry to have missed it all,, But today in the UK I sat with my dear food friend as we lost her to cancer,, She will walk beside me every day, God Bless,her,

Also why oh why has Dizzy tried so hard to change the topic onto and about billboards, !!! No need IMHO,

Hope,to,see all for a catch up once I get back, much love,

Spider, XX

Angiebaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Angiebaby »

Spider I do not think I have met you but very sorry to hear your news, hope your journey was not all bad. To a lighter note what great show of generosity from the guy who runs this forum. Well done to you sir. That now makes J.L.s efforts more realistic and the true worth of his show along with the other acts. As for The blackboard question I think you will find that this is another "musician". My husband was a record producer in the states and he says the music industry is rife with petty jealousy, even among real artists.

Dizzyrascal
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Dizzyrascal »

JL your question re blackboards Corner Bar/House whatever it is called your name (JL and friends) was on there for weeks and I came along a couple of times not that long ago when you were performing there on Friday nights (hence my assumption of working which you have corrected me on). Although I haven't been down that way for a couple of weeks now cant say whether it's still there.
Angiebaby - I can assure you that I am not a musician and never have been and never will be, I have led a much more boring mundane life with a normal job.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Yes Dizzy Rascal. sorry I only know you by this name. But this does equate to too many blackboards ! Yes Steve is on few but I am fairly certain as a visitor it may be accepted, he is on holiday having a sing, not unheard of.

There are a few of us who have supported and helped Marie at the Corner Bar, for no financial reward, this seems difficult for some people to grasp, but there really is more to life than money.I spent many many years in the UK running my businesses , and almost put myself into a very early grave.

There are dozens of people who could tell that you that I have appeared for no money or maybe minimum expenses.

When I compered at the amphitheater for the D.S.N.B. for Chesire Homes it was NO FEE. as other numerous events.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

To which Corner bar/House are you referring, I know of at least 3?

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Owl Lady wrote:To which Corner bar/House are you referring, I know of at least 3?
I believe it's the one in Alsancak by the Golden Lady, we,ve been lucky enough to see Lee there and all I can say is that he's a great guy with a huge heart, a genuinely lovely man.
He does not have to justify himself to anyone because he,s probably done more good than a lot of other folk put together.
Perhaps Dizzyrascal would like to elaborate what she has done for charity as she seems very vocal about what others have done.
In my humble opinion if there were more people like Lee, and Barry Snakes, on this lovely island it would be a far better place for all of us.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Thanks Elizabeth, I whole heartily agree with you. well done to them both.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

What lovely posts and thank you. I do not know you form your forum names , but I am touched, by this.

Who needs max Clifford.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”