General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

the butlers wife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

I need a new laptop

•   Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Post by the butlers wife »

Is there anywhere I can buy a new laptop with an English keyboard in or around Girne and what price can I expect to pay?

The butlers wife

butterfly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: I need a new laptop

•   Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Post by butterfly »

Easy answer. No. Spent 2 months researching this is in January. Nowhere does them. Bought one online from amazon in the end and had it bought over.

JBA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Post by JBA »

Com-Aks have had them in the past (Sony and HP) but I haven't been in for a bit. They are certainly worth talking to - 0392 815 3600

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

the butlers wife.
I had the same problem last year, not having any one to bring one out from the UK I choose to buy one from the South.
I used a firm called Stephanis, they have a small shop near the mall in Egnomi but they have a very large shop not far from Marks and Spences clothes shop.
Turn left at old Orphaneides lights drive down to the lights at M & S turn left drive down this road till you begin to climb, at the top on the left is Stephanis with a large parking ground. They are very helpful and you will get discount from the inquiry desk just inside the door on the left as they are not allowed to give out bonus cards to people living in the North.
Hope this helps if you are unable to get one from the UK.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Laptops are available here in numerous places.Techmar opp Lemar in Karakum sell them as I'm sure I've seen them in Laconic.They are also available in some shops in streets in Girne.Not sure of price comparisons though.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Keyboard stickers ? You can set the keyboard to UK in windows settings and buy some stick on key covers so that the symbol on the physical keyboard will match UK keyboard settings. Not ideal but an option perhaps.

Something like this.

http://www.4keyboard.com/dvorak-uk-nont ... p-283.html

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Becker

All computers sold in the North Have a Turkish key board.
This laptop I am using at the moment has a UK querty key board, why should anyone buy a Turkish key board computer??
YES you can change it to an English key board but you loose the positions of the most uses keys such as the pound sign ect.
Buying in the South is cheaper and you get a EU guarantee plus the fact you will be able to use it without searching for the right key to press.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Karmels,I must be mistaken or blind!! Agree they maybe cheaper in South,the ones in shops I mentioned were deffo UK keyboards.Have to go collect something from Techmar in a few days,will ask if they change their keyboards.I somehow don't think so.I was looking to renew mine & keyboards in there were as the one I use now.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

another option could be buy a laptop with Turkish keyboard and use a plug in usb uk keyboard

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

İ have just bought a Turkish keyboard from Laconic and bought a sheet of stickers for 6tl İ thınk it was. They tweeked something on the PC (although they said it was so simple İ could have done it myself). The stickers are so exact with the keyboard its almost impossible to see the differance. Having said that İ also have a Turkish keyboard on my Netbook and got used to it very quickly (typing on it now) and it ıs extremely useful when and if İ have to type TC names or place names. Why not give it a try.

chiangbill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Post by chiangbill »

Hi Both. Don't know whats wrong with your Laptop, but did you know you can use the recovery option. This takes the Laptop back to the day it was bought. You will of course loose all that's on there and will have to reinstall your operating system, printers etc etc. It is worth a try.

Bill.

the butlers wife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Bill,

Laptop has been into the shop twice but has made no difference to it. We think it is over heating, as it starts up and then immediately closes down. It is approximately 8 years old, so will right it off and buy a new one.

Thanks for all the replies, we are going to some shops tomorrow that you have recommended, so will let you know how we get on.

The butlers wife

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I have pm'd you, which might save you a few bob!!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I use a Turkish keyboard (did have stickers on the keys but they rubbed off!) . Since I can touch type in English it is no problem as all the English letters are in the right places, and it is very useful to be able to look at the keyboard when I type Turkish names and addresses. A few of the punctuation marks etc. are in the wrong places (I suspect that is because the Turkish is based on an American model) but small problem.

My problem the battery is running down, and I am having difficulty getting a replacement and told is would be nearly as cheap to get a new laptop! Anyone have any suggetions please:

(a) accessing batteries

(b) how much I could expect to pay buying in the TRNC for the simplest possible model?

the butlers wife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Sophie,

Although I received the message telling me that you pm me. I have not actually received the email.

The butlers wife

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have sent you another pm. I had the same problem as you and solved it almost immediately. Worth a try.

techmar
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Post by techmar »

Hello

We sell laptops with english keyboards. Prices starting from 999 TL brand new. We are opposite the Lemar in Karakum next to the Gundal Pharmacy.

Thanks
TECHMAR

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Thank you Techmar.New proper UK keyboards are available here in TRNC.

the butlers wife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Thank you, we will call in tomorrow and see what you have in stock.

The butlers wife

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Ragged Robin I bought a new battery for a HP compact recently 150tl,I know it is dearer then the UK but needs must and cheaper than the air fare!!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Cheaper than a new laptop too,, Owl Lady! Where did you get it please.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Computer shop opposite Teachers Hotel next to Cartridge Island and Hair Bonita hairdressers in Girne. Main road past Pia Bella Hotel. Sorry don't know the name. He was very helpful,let me take it home to try it out, promising refund if it didn't work.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank Owl Lady. I know where Cartridge Island is, so should be able to find it OK.

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

boight my nwe lapto from Techmar. Not quite an english K/B but more usa It is a MSI which probably explains itthrer are only 2 differences I can se the @ is onwhere the staar is third row down fromF keys and the £ sign s shift 3 apart from that excellent and very pleased. good selection at Techmar and they can get some more from their other office. minwe was still on promotion from xmas and I bought it in Mey !!! good luck
Mick
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”