General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Toria
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

internal paint peeling problem

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Toria »

Can anyone please give any tips or suggestions on how to treat and disguise when paint peels off interior walls? Apparently it's not due to damp but appears time and time again. Have tried sealants and repaint but returns after approx 12 months. Toria

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: internal paint peeling problem

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

It could be salt leaching out of the walls reacting with the paint (please correct me if I'm wrong builders/experts).

Is your house old/newly built?

I had that problem with my house (1920's built) and it was water ingress and damp. It manifested itself as peeling paint and greenish fur (salt leaching?). The builder identified a couple of possible routes for the water, from the roof and also wicking up from the ground. He did some work to stem the possible water ingress and there was an immediate improvement.

I have not repainted as yet as I want the water already in the wall to come out, also in case it's not completely cured. I'm just scraping the old paint off as it loosens. This allows me and the builder to look at the 'shape' of the water ingress and it does make sense with respect to my problem. I'm going to leave repainting until next year.

These sort of problems require a long term solution with the help of a builder who has experience of this issue. I used CDS in Catalkoy and they have been great.

Again, without details, plus I'm not a builder or expert don't take what I say to be gospel. Get an expert to have a look.

I just hope my experience here helps a little.

Chris
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

chiangbill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by chiangbill »

If the wall is damp it's a waste of time repainting. Once it is dry then you have to get rid of the Salt/Lime as well. The Salt/Lime could be causing you most of the problems.

Toria
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Toria »

Thanks for your help...It sounds like it is the salt thing. Villa was built in 2008 and had full damp course but we have notice salt comes up on the floor tiles too. Thanks for prompt replies, this is a really great site. Toria

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

We have the same problem at times in an upstairs bedroom and an English painter and decorator put it down to the "plastic" paint a lot of people use here. I must say I can peel off a strip 3 or 4 inches long sometimes.

chiangbill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by chiangbill »

I think you may mean Vinyl Emulsion Sophie. It does not allow the walls to breath. There is a paint called Pliolite. Made for exterior walls but this paint is permeable which means the wall can breath through the paint film. look at this site http://sartaspaint.en.ec21.com/ They have a paint called Plyo Paint. This stuff may well work. But not sure if you can get it here. Failing that just use a contract emulsion, not so much vinyl in it.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Somebody was selling a system on here or another forum called 'Ombrello System' to solve this sort of problem.
We have an old house but the walls were replastered and painted in 2000, it was mostly fine but in the last couple of years, the paint has started to peel and appearance of salt is visible.

I don't know if this system is any good. Would love to hear from any body who used it.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Until now I have just removed any loose material, painted it with diluted PVA glue and then repainted. It lasts for quite a while, maybe 2 or 3 years, depending

Toria
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Toria »

Thanks to everyone who replied with answers..they have all been useful to know and shall investigate some of the solutions. . X toria

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

If you have evidence of salt growth, i.e. crystals of salt on the surface there must be damp, if you can cure this you will sort the problem.

You say there was a damp course throughout, is this above ground on the exterior? Is there continuity throughout, i.e. does the DPM meet a membrane in the floor? If al of this is correct you need to look for some sort of penetrating damp from outside. Is there a downpipe? A Drain? Somewhere where rainwater lies? Somewhere that the damp course is breeched or bridged? The cure lies with finding and dealing with this, paints pva and sealants just deal with the symptoms.

In most cases you just have to live with the problem, you cannot inject a damp course as the bricks are hollow, we cave a couple of small issues, we just touch them up once a year though if you have a major problem it may be viable to get a professional in of go back to the builder. Builters here get a bad rap, most of them quite rightly so however one corrected a problem at my sister's house some 8 years after build without charge and I have just had a window firm back after 3 years as some of the pvc frames had discoloured in the sun, the windows are arched and the arch sections come from Turkey on special order. No problem both windows will be replaced in full. It ain't all bad!
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”