General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

"Bypass" from the Güzelyurt road to the Metehan crossing

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

I've just come back to Lefkoşa from the village with my Father-in-law, and after passing the "nightclubs" near Alayköy, my F-in-L suggested we see if the "new road" was complete ... and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was.

I should make clear that it has not yet been officially opened ... indeed at one point of the dual carriageway the Metehan-to-Güzelyurt traffic have to drive on the other side of the central reservation ... moreover the police in theory could stop you ... and insurance companies won't pay out in the case of an accident. If however, you're willing to take those risks, the road reduces your journey by almost ten minutes. Judging by the dozen or so cars we met on the road, it would seem to be a risk that many locals are willing to take.
Here are the directions coming from Güzelyurt :
- About a kilometre after the Alayköy-signposted roundabout you come to as-yet-non-signposted roundabout - here you turn right.
- After less than a kilometre you will come to another roundabout, where you turn left.
- From there you drive straight-straight-straight (going over three roundabouts as I remember) until you get to the roundabout closest to Metehan - there you turn right ... and the crossing is about a kilometre or so away.

For those of you living out towards Güzelyurt or maybe Karşıyaka, but not willing to take the risk of driving on an illegal road, you might want to remember these diections for when the new road is completed ... which we estimate will be very soon ... possibly for the new year.

philyesil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: "Bypass" from the Güzelyurt road to the Metehan crossing

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by philyesil »

This new road should be great for avoiding the rush hour snarl ups at Gonyeli. I understand that the new road will also cut above Gonyeli Near East Uni and continue past Hamitkoy mandras an link up with the road near to Levent's Uni, thus bye passing Lefkosa and almost bringing you to Ercan.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: "Bypass" from the Güzelyurt road to the Metehan crossing

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

philyesil wrote:This new road should be great for avoiding the rush hour snarl ups at Gonyeli. I understand that the new road will also cut above Gonyeli Near East Uni and continue past Hamitkoy mandras an link up with the road near to Levent's Uni, thus bye passing Lefkosa and almost bringing you to Ercan.
Hi Phil,
philyesil wrote:This new road should be great for avoiding the rush hour snarl ups at Gonyeli.
As you said Phil, it avoids the traffic-lighted junction from the Güzelyurt road into Yeni Kent.
philyesil wrote: I understand that the new road will also cut above Gonyeli Near East Uni and continue past Hamitkoy mandras an link up with the road near to Levent's Uni, thus bye passing Lefkosa and almost bringing you to Ercan.
There are indeed plans for such a ring-road, but as yet they are just that - plans - thıs ring-road would requıre a junction on the current Girne-Lefkoşa road about a kılometre out from the current Gönyeli roundabout. That would certainly help reduce the congestion at the Gönyeli roundabout ... Phıl, we can but hope ...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”