Referendum in Turkey results

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Referendum in Turkey results

Post by rocking »

The yes vote is 51.3% and no vote is 48.7%. Do not think he will be too happy with that result. Also, surprise, surprise quite a bit of voting irregularities.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Re: Referendum in Turkey results

Post by Soner »

Country is divided, there may be trouble ahead.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Dalartokat »

The opposition are asking for a re-count as midway during voting it was announced that any voting papers without the official mark could be accepted.....not surprised.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by rocking »

I agree with you Soner. When you think the note campaign hardly held a rally domto fear and all tv stations were revolting yes and Erdogan, think people were afraid to say what they thought out loud but waited for the ballet box. Think he was surprised. Now we wait.

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by MoonageDaydream »

I see that Turks in Cyprus voted 55% NO in the referendum.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Deniz1 »

Surprising the hundreds of people at the embassy in Nicosia were all carrying turkish flags and were saying they were voting yes because he is so wonderful!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Turkey = 51.3% Yes, 48.7% No. Brexit = 51.9% Yes, 48.1% No. "Country is divided, there may be trouble ahead" - "The opposition are asking for a re-count as midway during voting it was announced that any voting papers without the official mark could be accepted.....not surprised." - http://www.trtworld.com/europe/how-did- ... ote-337415 - Interesting?

Looks like the world is divided no matter where you are or where you come from - only the power of the politicians drive the end result to any major vote on change. Strange how the "Groups" that propose any change can always just sneak in ahead of those that oppose it these days?

A re-count for the votes in Turkey - only if those who demand it are still free and have not yet been arrested yet - lol.

Like Brexit, Turkey will now live to see if it was a good thing or a bad thing in the long run. Good luck to them all.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kiplet »

Any comments on how the Result this could affect North Cyprus ?

Maybe just maybe more and more Turkish people will buy property in North Cyprus ??

Or any pitfalls for North Cyprus owing to the result ?

I'm kinda concerned that already we are obligated to Turkey with the water ?
And possibly the electric ?

lee666
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by lee666 »

Well vote over for now, just looked and my glass is still HALF FULL.

Living the dream
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

David
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by David »

Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir all voted No

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by rocking »

Been following this for a year. What I find disturbing that those who held no vote were terrified to speak about their views, but did hold on until time to vote. Judisary locked away and no free journalists. Now you have a country with no opposition.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

Given Mr. Erdogan's public expressed strong views on Europe, and with his now to be extended powers, what do you think the chances are of him letting the EU get its sticky mitts on North Cyprus (which would be the result of a "Yes" vote in a referendum on reunification)?

Incidentally re Waddo's comment on the closeness of the figure on the Turkey Vote to the Brexit one - I can't remember the exact numbers but were not the results of the 2004 referendum also similar and very close?
Last edited by Ragged Robin on Mon 17 Apr 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

kiplet wrote:Any comments on how the Result this could affect North Cyprus ?

Maybe just maybe more and more Turkish people will buy property in North Cyprus ??

Or any pitfalls for North Cyprus owing to the result ?

I'm kinda concerned that already we are obligated to Turkey with the water ?
And possibly the electric ?

It will aid the quest for a settlement. With the Islamification of Turkey, those living in Cyprus will want to vote for political and religious freedom.

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kiplet »

Could this mean a urgent North cyprus rush to join the EU to avoid any strict future interference from Turkey ?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Don't forget that the TRNC is already in the EU please, it is part of Cyprus and the EU see's the whole of Cyprus being in the EU - the only thing that stops the TRNC from receiving all the EU benefits (I say ALL as the TRNC already gets assistance from the EU) is that they are not YET recognized "Internationally" as an independent country. If there should be a settlement/deal between the North and South then full membership of the EU is automatic. No rush required.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

journey1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by journey1 »

TRNC in EU?
Can you clarify that please?

eastendjoker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by eastendjoker »

the international money markets will now judge the Turkish Lire , i can only see it going one way .

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by kerry 6138 »

journey1 wrote:TRNC in EU?
Can you clarify that please?
https://ec.europa.eu/cyprus/about-us/tu ... ypriots_en

The Green Line

The whole of Cyprus is EU territory. However, in the northern part of the island, where the Government of Cyprus does not exercise effective control, EU legislation is suspended in line with protocol 10 of the 2003 accession treaty.

Since 1974 the "Green Line" separates the two parts of the island. The EU's Green Line Regulation 866/2004, sets out the terms under which persons and goods can cross this line, which is not an external border of the EU.

The main practical effect is that the northern areas are outside the EU's customs and fiscal territory – but this does not affect the personal rights of Turkish Cypriots as EU citizens. They are citizens of an EU country even if they live in a part of Cyprus not under government control.

Mr Davidson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mr Davidson »

Please could you elaborate more on why you thing the North is currently part of the EU. Taken from https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R41136.pdf a paragraph entitled - Quote:
The Christofias-Talat Negotiations: 2008-2010 - For roughly the next four years, to little avail, Cyprus muddled through a series of offers and counter-offers to restart serious negotiations even as the Greek Cypriots solidified their new status as a member of the EU, a status not extended to the Turkish Cypriots despite an EU pledge to try to help end the isolation of the north. ... end quote. However, I do think the rotating EU chairmanship could cause a problem if the island was to unite. Given the alarm and EU response to the outcome of the Turkish referendum - how likely is it really? Can the North separate itself as a sovereign state from Turkey in reality given the patronage and financial subsidy apparently afforded to the TNRC?

Teatime101
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Teatime101 »

First of all trnc is not part of eu and never will be. İts essentially an extension of mainland turkey and A big military base. Most turkish cypriots do not want to be part of eu and be enslaved to germany. Turks ( whether islandders or main Landers) clearly see what the eu has done to the everyday lives of those piigs( portugal, ireland, italy, greece, and spain) 30 percent unemployment is the gift of the euro.
The only reason trnc is not recognized is because of the turks being muslim. No other reason. ps trnc not being recognized is a good thing. Last thing we want is Mcdonalds and Starbucks on every corner
Trncs an insignificant little island thatll probably not be recognized well into the end of this century

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by jofra »

Not sure of the origins or basis of you comments; however, as to "part of the EU" - legally, kerry 6138 is correct. Factually, the TRNC has received grants from EU funding - for example, visit the Lapta Walkway - you will see signs attesting to this.
"Most turkish cypriots do not want to be part of eu..." - evidence/statistics/proof?
"Turks ( whether islandders or main Landers)" - many (most?) Turkish Cypriots would take great exception to this comment - they are not "Turks" and are concerned about the influx of people from Turkey... and some I know have been most impolite in their comments....
"The only reason trnc is not recognized is because of the turks being muslim." - and also the reason why Saudi Arabia, the Gulf States, and how many other countries around the world are not recognised......

Teatime101
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Teatime101 »

Just because the eu gives a Grant to build a walkway doesnt mean trnc is eu... We saw how polite the eu (cough germany) was to south cyprus back in 2013. They needed a laughable 30 billion euros to save their economy and germany was united and very european* therefore only gave half. The other half was taken out of depozitors money from Banks aka stolen

believe me people here hide their True feelings when they speak w Brits bc they make money off them. People here are also very nationalistic and as more mainland turks come here and their economy gets more developed dont expect them to treat u nicel much longer. Turkish mainland wealth cannot b compared to a few hundred poor retired Brits. Good option for u is piigs states. İ hear u can buy a villa in spain for 75k pounds

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by jofra »

"believe me people here hide their True feelings when they speak w Brits bc they make money off them." - Perhaps your experience because that is what has been done to you or you do to them?
"People here are also very nationalistic and as more mainland turks come here and their economy gets more developed dont expect them to treat u nicel much longer." - All I can base my comments on is what I have heard from my several Turkish Cypriot friends over the ten or more years I have known them, and long before I first visited the TRNC. To imply what you have is an insult to my friends, my intelligence and (IMO) to the majority of Turkish Cypriots...

Teatime101
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Teatime101 »

So essentially what you are saying is the people here Who fought side by side yesterday, somehow hate eachother because the turk thats living 50 km north of here is a different nationality or something along those lines??please do clarify. Also im not saying your friends dislike you. However if you did some research into the history of this island i find it surprising that you think turks here in general would be fond of your kind, this same idea extends to the greeks view towards english as well. we saw this same story w lawrence of Arabia and in general this hateful divide and conquer rheoteric...

İf you want to live here keep ur mouth shut enjoy the sun, beaches, and food. Dont come here to insult the locals or spread ur false ideologies.. Turks in mainland and north cyprus are forever brothers

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by jofra »

"So essentially what you are saying is the people here Who fought side by side yesterday, somehow hate eachother because the turk thats living 50 km north of here is a different nationality or something along those lines??please do clarify.
MY words "..are concerned.." - your words "hate" - do not put your words in my mouth; for example, in the second world war, many Polish people fought "side by side" with British, but recently there has been concern over the number of Polish people working in the UK.... but they are NOT hated... (except by a few ignorant racists and/or bigots)...

"Also im not saying your friends dislike you."
"believe me people here hide their True feelings when they speak w Brits bc they make money off them.." - so my friends are "hiding their true feelings? This seems to more demonstrate your true feelings...

"However if you did some research into the history of this island i find it surprising that you think turks here in general would be fond of your kind, this same idea extends to the greeks view towards english as well...."
As you cannot possibly know how much or how little "research" I have done, or how much knowledge and experience I have, I would merely point out that (currently) the majority of the population are Turkish Cypriot or Greek Cypriot - NOT "turks" or "greeks", as you seem to imagine - perhaps your "research" is faulty?

"İf you want to live here keep ur mouth shut enjoy the sun, beaches, and food. Dont come here to insult the locals or spread ur false ideologies.. Turks in mainland and north cyprus are forever brothers"

Sadly, your mispelt "orders" regarding "insults" and "false ideologies" only insult the general population (no doubt even including the South) as well as the people of various nationalities who visit or have come to live here, and have been accepted (and befriended) by the general population. To descend to such a closing comment, it suggests that you are (for whatever reason) embittered, biased and bigoted to such a degree that you will never accept any other view.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Please keep to forum rules. No personal attacks allowed on this forum.Topic has been closed, you may start another as long as members abide by the rules of the forum.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”