General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Green light for high rise construction

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

As reported in Cyprus Today, planning laws have been changed to allow hotel development of up to seven storeys in Lapta, Alsanjsk, Karaoglanoglu and Catalkoy. The decision was communicated at a stormy public meeting, with protests being made by planners, architects, lawyers and MPs plus the newly formed Girne Initiatives residents pressure group.

A few weeks ago this pressure group did presentations in various locations on this very subject. The BRS got a late message out and when we attended there were a good number of ex pat Catalkoy residents at the meeting. We listened to a two hour informative presentation and also signe the petition. We are not BRS members but heard from a member about the meeting and wanted to attend to show support.

The most recent meeting announcing these changes was held in Girne. Apparently it is reported that the only ex pat or foreign representation was the head of the BRS. Apparently he appealed to BRS members to attend but he was the only one.

We are not BRS members but find it strange that no other BRS members apart from the head turned up. Credit to him for his representation, but as far as appealing to others for support, I do not recall seeing or reading any information about this latest meeting. I may of course be wrong and maybe BRS members did receive information, possibly via email.... But I do not recall seeing any posters or information in bars, cafés, tavernas etc nor on any forums.
If we had known we would have attended. There are many of us who are not BRS members but do take an interest in all things North Cyprus, so would if the BRS had information about the meeting would it not have been sensible to circulate as widely as possible, to not only members but also other ex pat groups and individuals?

We all know that meetings or events such as these are often poorly advertised, however whilst I have no reason to stir up a hornets best, I do have to ask how loud was the BRS appeal for support? Was this meeting publicised? If so how? Seems strange that no other expat groups were in attendance.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

silverfox1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Green light for high rise construction

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by silverfox1 »

And...?????? This is all old news from CT.

Two things to consider:
The BRS are incompetent and have a track record of accomplishing nothing.
Planning laws are the domain of the Government and electorate NOT ex pats so we have to accept this or get out and not keep complaining as it will achieve nothing. Would we expect or appreciate ex pats in the UK to have any say in our democracy?...NO.

It is such a shame that so much of this forum is now taken up with bemoaning everything about TRNC....Cost of and availabilty of Water, title deeds, planning, cost of living, poor service at restaurants, driving standards, noise and the list goes on!

I love it here, with all its faults and I reckon at least the Mods should remain neutral with out fuelling negative debate about the TRNC.

Lets start a PRO TRNC petition maybe.

Just my opinion!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Silver fox

Not sure you have read my post. Firstly I am not moaning about the TRNC or the way it functions. Far from it. Having spent teenage years in Cyprus, lived and worked in Cyprus and holidayed both sides and invested and living in the TRNC, I love the place.

This is not old news ...... It's happening now and is ongoing. Far from moaning, we are, along with other ex pats and foreigners mixing with the local community and supporting them as they struggle to understand these changes to planning regulations. Of course we have no direct influence but we are concerned enough to care what happens. Rather than sit back and moan we were actively showing support. These meetings were for the benefit of everyone in the TRNC whether they be local people or ex pats/foreigners. If you look at the article it's local people at all levels including mayors, MPs, lawyers and architects coming together to voice concerns. It was not a bunch of expats or foreigners having a moan.

I did not start this topic to stir up a hornets near but merely to question why only one foreigner was present at the meeting, how information was sent out and is it possible the message could have been more widely communicated. As for your comments re the BRS, that's your opinion but whilst we are not members the BRS as we understand it does have a healthy and growing membership. Therefore it seems to me that members must be reasonably happy with what the BRS do on their behalf.

Just think better communication may have encouraged more people to take an interest and attend the meetings
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Quite right Posh.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

"...Would we expect or appreciate ex pats in the UK to have any say in our democracy?...NO...."
Assuming the phrase "ex pats" in this instance indicates 'residents in the UK of foreign birth' - if they are registered to vote, they DO have an entitlement to "have a say", whether it be which party to vote for (because of what new laws they may create), or merely on actual planning applications next door to them - just like any UK-born resident....
Therefore, IMO it would be reasonable (and nice, but unlikely!) if expat residents (not swallows like me!) were granted some say - after all, they contribute to the TRNC just as all the other Cypriot residents do....

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

As regards some of silver foxes post I agree so many posts on here just moan about the TRNC , this is how it is warts and all if it's not to your liking just leave as I am sure the locals are pissed off with some things as well. The U.K. Has its problems as well as regards the BRS I think most join to get the discount that's all it does nothing except let one or two of the committee strut their stuff. Strange the committee as a whole did not turn up after all the organised mayhem at the AGM in the dome might have helped in this case. Where I live in Girne by the school and am now being surrounded by 7 plus storey apartments most of the old houses were owned by TC that work for the public sector the houses have gone the flats are going up and they have moved out of the area into big new houses moan at them they are happy to take the money and care not a jot for the town or the landscape. Money and greed is the name of the game.its the poor TC's that got nothing I feel sorry for. We have already decided one more block of flats in front of us will cause us to move to Alsanjak and live in the centre away from developments.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”