Cyprus Eye Clinic

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

corona24
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Cyprus Eye Clinic

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by corona24 »

(i just posted but it didnt go through?)
Hello! Any thoughts or opinions about this clinic?

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Cyprus Eye Clinic

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

If this is the one before the traffic lights at the bottom of the Bellapais Road,it is fine.I have been going for 7 years.(It used to be in Girne)

Ozangirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Cyprus Eye Clinic - Horrendous experience !

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Ozangirl »

In answer to your question, I have lived here for 8 years and normally use doctors and other professionals here, but from now on I am going to think twice ! I have been using the Cyprus Eye Clinic for a while for my son who is 5 years old. He has been prescribed two sets of glasses over the last 6 months which i took on trust that they were right for my child. Since my child started school in September last year he has experienced learning difficulties and this year I took him to the Dyslexic Society in Nicosia to get diagnosed. I was duly informed that he is showing signs of dyslexia and was told to seek help in special needs. An English lady (a forum user) got in touch with me and advised to get his eyes tested in the UK to see if his eyes work together as this may be preventing him from learning, I duly did this a couple of weeks ago and he had a thorough test by an Optimetrist in the UK who in turn told me that the glasses that he has been wearing for the last 6 months are totally wrong and he cannot focus at all in them !!! Totally wrong prescription ! no wonder he couldn't learn ! He now has the correct glasses (bifocals). So in answer to your question, I have lost complete faith with practitioners in Cyprus.

corona24
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by corona24 »

I'm just guessing, then your son had strabismus/amblyopia? or he is far sighted? since you say he is better now with bifocals. (I am from the USA and I just think that the best care I can get for my son or my self is there ) Like you, the UK for you n your son. Glad he is better now.

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Ozangirl. Thank you for that timely warning.

I must admit to having only heard good reports about this clinic and having put up with failing eyesight for too long, I was going to go there for a check up.

If they can't get something as basic as an eyetest and glasses prescription correct then I am afraid I would be loathe to trust them with anything more major that may be necessary.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Milky Way
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Milky Way »

Posted in a different topic, but probably more relevant here. Bad, bad experience with Cyprus Eye Clinic. First, while the doctor was giving me an eye check (100tl), she found my optical nerve looking weird and said there might be glaucoma developing. I check my eyes almost every year, and I never heard of anything like that. She sent me to get a Doppler test (150 tl) - nothing. Gave me a visual field test (90 tl) - nothing. No glaucoma whatsoever. In Scotland my husband got a full eye check including visual test for 30 pounds only... but whatever. No news is good news in this case, but I still wondered if she just made it up.
The next incident that turned me off completely was when we went in to pick up lenses for my husband, and he complained the astigmatism lens was difficult to put on and uncomfortable to the point that he couldn't wear it for even a few hours. She said that it's a bit thick, so DISCOMFORT IS NORMAL. How's that coming from a doctor? No attempt to check how tight the lens was, no further advice. We left with a feeling they just tried to get rid of us, since we already paid the money and were of no further interest to the doctor...
I believe some people had positive experience with that clinic, otherwise it wouldn't be so full all the time. Or maybe it's just the only clinic around, who knows. With no competition from anyone else there's no need for them to deliver better service or even to adhere to basic medical etiquette. However, they have two less patients now. We will go to a different clinic next time, even if it's in Lefkosa, or South, or even a different country.

corona24
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by corona24 »

Milky WAy- sorry I just NOW looked over to this link and saw you post. So sorry for your 1 waste of time 2 waste of money and 3 bad experience. that is terrible!!! I mean one for the things she should have checked were your pressures- not the puff kind!
and IF she really suspected glaucoma, then she should have monitored for a time period see if your pressures increase or not then if so do meds. another things she should have done was a anterior chamber exam. just concluding that your optic nerves looked weird and no basis?????? and we you weren't complaining of anything? granted, by the time YOU, the patient, notice something it might be late. so IF there was something really then she should have done an OCT- check your layers. ANYWAYS, there is an Ophthalmologist right here in KArakum, She is really nice. I have spoken to her and she is fairly new here but has everything you need for a proper exam. she is soft speaking and speaks English as well as Turkish.
Her INFO:
GOZ Klinigi
Op.Dr. Sevim Erbildim

from girne towards Catalkoy, main road on the left. Her office is in front the motorcycle building. Her number(s): 03928161161 Mobile & 05338804771

I do not know what she charges sorry. but she does manual pressures, and lens fitting, (just mentioning what you were discussing). -Good luck!

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”