Working IPTV

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Working IPTV

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

I was using unlim.tv but it now seems not to taking subscriptions, is there another IPTV that is stable here

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Working IPTV

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by MoonageDaydream »

Post edited by moderator, The company mentioned is not allowed any exposure or promotion on this forum.

If you just want the 'freeview' channels, and don't want to pay a small subscription this one is also OK: http://www.triotechgroup.com/:

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

sorted now thanks

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:sorted now thanks
What did you do to 'sort' it ? (May help others)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Stay away from IPTV Shop! Very good when first start but if you have continuing problems they will not even answer your emails! Not good at all.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by erol »

The title refers to 'Working' IPTV

Some thoughts

The best 'source' for BBC content is to have it sent to you by a machine owned and controlled by the BBC using software / webpage owned and controlled by the BBC. There really is no better source for BBC IPTV content than the BBC. So to for ITV, channel 4 and so. The best source for ITV content is ITV. So to for Sky content, the best source is Sky either using a UK sky subscription and the 'sky go' app or now.tv (which is basically Sky's pay as you go option).

Now to be able to use such sources from Cyprus you do need to 'fool' the various sources in to thinking you are in the UK even though you are not. This can be done by using a third party VPN or DNS redirect based service. Of course again if 'working' is the main priority then choosing a 'good' supplier of such services is important (I can not recommend streamvia highly enough in this regard).

There is, imo, simply no more consistently reliable way to get UK tv content over the internet here in Cyprus. This is based on having lived here for 17 years or more, working for an ISP provider here and having in the past worked for an IPTV provider as well.

Now there will be people 'down the pub' that will try and sell you a 'magic box' that will claim to be able to deliver all UK TV , both free to air and paid for content (like sky) and much more besides, all for a single one off payment. That is to give you access to content that in the UK would cost over £50 per MONTH and content from elsewhere outside the UK as well and to movies and box sets, sometimes even before they have been released in the cinema or on broadcast TV. The old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is, is one worth bearing in mind here imo.

This is not to say that things like 'mobdro' and their ilk, or paid for IPTV services that get their content without 'permission' do not work at all or have no value or use. It is to say however that such systems will never be as reliable, never work as well, as getting the content from the UK source directly using that sources own app / software / webpage in conjunction with a good VPN / dns redirect based service.

My advice would be have a 'baseline' of entirely legitimate service like say 'netflix' and / or 'almost entirely legitimate' of BBC from BBC, ITV from ITV, C4 from C4, Sky from Sky etc and using a good reliable VPN based service. You can then 'add' to this baseline with things like mobdro and kodi and or paid (but almost entirely illegitimate) IPTV services. If however all you have is mobdro or similar, then sooner or later and probably sooner rather than later, this will end up 'unreliable' and 'not working'.

Having such a 'baseline' makes a considerable difference in terms of us as an ISP trying to help people with 'tv problems'. If a customer reports to us that say Netflix is constantly buffering, then we will of course do the 'normal' checks like speed test etc. If these all look ok and yet the customer is still having problems we will keep investigating. With something like netflix we can do things like check their status page for know problems, do direct comparisons simultaneously, where by I stream the same content at the same time as a customer having problems and 'watch' their connection and my own during this to try and work out why one is working and the other not, even though 'speeds' seem ok. By comparison if a customer reports 'tv problems' and when we ask what is the 'source' of the problematic content, they say 'er no idea, I am using some box some guy down the pub sold me' then there really is very little we can do except the 'macro' checks for speed and if they are ok, then there really is nothing more we can do.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Excellent post Erol, demystifing some of the mystery for sure! I run a MAG264 (with some odd programs on it such as Mobdro) and it works better that the IPTV service I currently pay for - but will not renew. I was advised by the IPTV to also run a VPN and to use Nord VPN, it is very good if you wish your download speeds to be cut in half or more - I have stopped using that as well. I also run the IPTV direct to a Windows 7 based PC along with an OS X based Mac Mini neith of which can give me a solid (or consistent) service with the IPTV.

Next plan is to move forward to Streamvia and play with that a little to see if things improve. I do not expect something for nothing and so far have not been proven wrong that there is no such thing as a free lunch! However, I am quite happy to pay to try different systems/solutions and pass on any information that I glean from them. What is disappointing to me is that when you try to help solve obvious problems with an IPTV supplier (and I expect to be treated like an idiot) that they simply give up and shut up - these types are to be avoided at all costs! In the end, the truth costs nothing and if only people would admit that a product is not working properly it would be much less painful. I don't expect 100% reliability nor money back - it was my choice in the first place - what makes me happy is honesty.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

dan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by dan »

How do I put Mobdro on a mag box?

dan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by dan »

Can I put Kodi on a mag box?

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Erol, I use Skygo , Netflix and Amazon Prime the problem is that you soon eat up the allowance given by MM and then fall into the traffic management so some people would prefer to use an IPTV most of which will work down to 2 MByte

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by erol »

jimm wrote:Erol, I use Skygo , Netflix and Amazon Prime the problem is that you soon eat up the allowance given by MM and then fall into the traffic management so some people would prefer to use an IPTV most of which will work down to 2 MByte
Services like SkyGo, Netflix, BBC iPlayer , ITV Hub and there like (and Amazon Prime I guess but have not tested myself) will all automatically vary the bandwidth they use depending on the behaviour of your internet connection, by reducing quality if needed on slower connections. None of the 'unofficial' IPTV services I have seen can do this. At best they will offer you the same channel in different quality levels that you can manually choose. What is more I have yet to see such a service that is as good and efficient at encoding video streams as the likes of Netflix and the BBC are. In fact many of 'unofficial' services I have seen are horribly inefficient in their encoding, delivering streams that use 5 - 6 Mb/s of bandwidth, yet deliver a quality that is SD or worse. A MM customer on platinum service, even when they have had their speed reduced to the maximum in peak hours because of usage, their speed will be reduced to 3Mbs. At this reduced speed services like SkyGo and Netflix will still work, you may just get slightly less picture quality but they still work. I have often watched Netflix without problem for example even in the few hours in peak time that I have had my speed reduced to 3Mb/s maximum because of my peak time usage.

https://skytv.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... app-use%3F
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/reduce-netflix-data-usage/

All and any streaming video will 'eat up bandwidth'. Legitimate services like Netflix are in my experience more efficient at encoding video , such that they deliver more quality of picture per byte use than illegitimate ones and they also will automatically adjust quality as necessary and they give you more manual control over quality settings as well. Thus I find this idea that some people choose to use 'illegitimate' services because of bandwidth use to be somewhat strange ?

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”