Update for Windows

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Update for Windows

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Can anyone recommend the best place/ person to get an update for my laptop please.

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Update for Windows

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

I think that firstly we need to know if you are on Windows XP, 7, 8 or 10.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Sorry, Windows 7

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Windows 10 is "a bit different".....are you sure your up to the change ...

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

turtle wrote:Windows 10 is "a bit different".....are you sure your up to the change ...
Just what are you implying my dear friend.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

elizabeth wrote:Can anyone recommend the best place/ person to get an update for my laptop please.
Your doing the best thing to find someone to do this for you, I didn't and it became quite stressful for me So much so I had to buy a new laptop. I really didn't know what was happening and just thought it would be straight forward( so some people told me)

It kept telling me that I needed new drivers, the laptop was running really slow and the amount of updates were getting ridiculous, so much so in the end the final straw was an update that consisted of something like 37 pages.

Microsoft admitted this year that there has been problems where you have no control over the updates and talking about putting some function to delay the least important ones and gives you the control as to when you do them.

I really am a dummie when it comes to IT and don't like change, but I only use it for emails, social media and forums.

I Think and maybe wrong, but Windows 7 and 8 are going to be obsolete soon. Hope you find someone soon.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Windows 7 and 8 are not so much "going to be obsolete" as will cease to be fully supported and updated by Microsoft. Windows XP has only received minimal support (updates) for organizations and businesses only for a few years (the NHS, many government, emergency, banking and airline systems still use XP!), so 7 and 8/8.1 will almost certainly continue in use for a good while, although they will receive only emergency security updates - and those will eventually end.
If you are unsure about DIY upgrading, yes, definitely get someone to do it for you, because there can be "worrying problems" - for example, the "automatic" upgrade to WIN 10 said my laptop could not be done because the graphic chip was too old - so I found a driver for that specific chip and then installed WIN 10 without any further problem!
Having said all that, I like to tinker with my PCs; my desktops and laptop all have Win7 installed for normal everyday use, but have spare hard drives with Win10 installed to which I may eventually switch over - but not for the moment!
(And I also have one desktop operating on XP, because my (very) old scanner will not work on anything newer!)
If you're happy with Win7 (as I am), stay with it - but make sure you keep it (and your antivirus and antispyware) updated!

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”