Who is/are the best ISP?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hunter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Who is/are the best ISP?

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Hunter »

Hello
Who is/are the best ISP in Nicosia? I have been living in NC for about two years now, I got Extend around a year ago and it was a bad experience for me , it kept going down randomly/very often for me. I am currently using net house , it was ok at first but I think the experience is getting worse for me.

I play online games and download large files frequently so I am looking for good ping, download speed and stability.

I don't want to ask for the impossible but what's the closest thing to that right now ? I heard about multimax online , but I have never tried it before...

Thank you

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Who is/are the best ISP?

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Multimax was the best in Nicosia (high speeds up to 60Mbps and stable latency in servers close to Germany and UK like 65ms to 80ms) but they moved on. Right now, they give service only in Kyrenia.

You asked for the best in TRNC. Best is FixNet located at Famagusta. They have this specific extra called UltraSpeed and it promises low latency and high speeds for customers like gamers and business related. (I guess it is nothing but some kind of QoS prioritization in bandwidth).

Best for Nicosia, right now I really don't know but I will soon enough. I searched and found out that Comtech gives 15Mbps and Airnetworx gives 8Mbps (both are very old and reliable companies / Airnetworx is SistemCO). I will contact them for specific questions later. But my recommendation is that do not trust other companies like Nethouse, Extend etc. They usually apply capped speeds and quotas without even informing the customer. Also, they do not treat their customers good in phone or mail. Flytom gives 20Mbps but upload speed is 1Mbps and they stated they are not confident with their service as I spoke with them on phone. 1Mbps upload is a serious bottleneck when downloading files in high speed (ACKs and other overheads) or playing games online.

Overall, I know that it is wireless and its nature. Basically, it is not as developed as other things and WISPs here do not use the latest wireless technologies and after all, some of the new techs are still prototypes, so can't blame anyone. Being said that, the amount of quality of service you will get depends on the WISP's skill (configuration, location, dealing with frequencies etc.) and the load on devices they use. Multimax did a good job on that and result was constant speeds and stable pings to servers.

EDIT: For southern Cyprus, best is Cosmos Wireless. They are much much better and sophisticated than Fixnet. Lastly, I watched their video on YouTube, using one of the best wireless techs on their base stations. But, south side also has VDSL and fiber.
I Walk Alone

Hunter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Hunter »

Thank you very much for the information. Are all the ISPs using wireless here? no land line connections ?

Hunter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Hunter »

To be honest the reviews for airnetworx and comtech online are not very encouraging... Also how did you know about the quotas and limits for nethouse and extend? or maybe these are just rumors?

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by wizardofmann »

maybe these are just rumors?
No they are not rumors. All ISP's use limit their 'bandwidth' during heavy usage but only Multimax are up front with it but even they do not tell the whole story. And since last Wednesday (19th April) Multimax have changed their server's!

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Hunter wrote:Thank you very much for the information. Are all the ISPs using wireless here? no land line connections ?
They all use wireless internet, even the f"ing cell providers. That is a very bad thing actually. Some also give ADSL packages and Comtech gives fiber to companies but not to homes, even if they are advertising it in that way lol.

We have ADSL and I guess it's ADSL2. ADSL in North Cyprus gives 100% stable speeds and much cheaper. I know because I used 8Mbps for few years. But the there a few things to consider.

1) Only 8Mbps is max speed and due to the nature of ADSL you only get 0.872 times of your speed, no matter you do. So in reality you get 8192 x 0.872 = 7.2Mbps approx.

2) Landlines are very shitty in North Cyprus for various reasons, they are old and not fiber. So you cannot get speeds over 8Mbps. Yet, Kıbrısonline was giving 16Mbps ADSL packages but you must live very close to the exchange. Speaking with exchange, you get your ADSL service from DSLAM "near" you but in here they are not located near you or as supposed to be like other countries. Now, I do not know much on this aspect so it may be wrong.

3) Due to these, you get much higher latency than wireless internet and down-times may occur. In reality, ADSL won't give you that high latency but in here it's different with North Cyprus.

There were some news regarding ADSL service 1-2 year ago after the huge breakdown of devices, they said they renewed their devices and can give much higher speeds to higher number of people etc. and they also deployed fiber cables to some areas of the city and other urban locations for better speeds. Actually, that means VDSL but they still give ADSL, so I suspect the improvements they have done were not that great after all. Also, when I found out that the most crowded and popular area of Nicosia is not deployed with fiber, I was disappointed. So the news that I've read were very inconsistent and deceiving in a way.

My suggestion is stay away from ADSL if you want high speeds and lower latency. I want to believe that in near future FTTX will be available widely.

EDIT:
To be honest the reviews for airnetworx and comtech online are not very encouraging... Also how did you know about the quotas and limits for nethouse and extend? or maybe these are just rumors?
Well, encouraging or not, you don't have other good alternatives, do you? At least, that two companies look promising to me and worth giving a try.

Nethouse definitely caps your speed based on your quota or that specific moment (dynamic speeds like bursts, as if you are using a HotSpot package lol). And they do not even state this in their website! Extend is more or less the same. You must protect yourself from "these" kind of companies.
I Walk Alone

jacob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by jacob »

Maybe off topic but with Newhouse and Sky News has disappeared off of Kodi, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

SatelliteCyprus
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by SatelliteCyprus »

All ISPs (Worldwide) apply Bandwidth controls to their Networks - why ? To keep their Networks running smoothly. What would you rather them do ? Have a free for all, where the first user takes 'all' the available Internet Bandwidth whilst all other users on the Network wait for them to finish ? Of course not !

Internet Bandwidth (contrary to what 'some' people may say, or believe) is quite expensive to provide and is supplied in the majority of cases (except on dedicated Internet Connections) on 'Shared' Internet Connections, based on the overriding principle that not 'all' users want, or need, to use the Internet at exactly the same time.

Of course with the introduction and popularity of 'streaming' Media, there are times at which many users 'do' want, or need, to use the Internet at the same time and as a result, the Internet may be slow at times, especially at 'peak' viewing times of TV

ISPs 'all' run sophisticated software which helps them to effectively manage their network resources and as a result 'everyone' benefits.

Having said this, if you are experiencing slowness or problems with your Internet Connection, the cause is unlikely to be shortage of Internet Bandwidth and is more likely to be the result of another problem. Please look at the following threads for more information :-

http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 30&t=37267

http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 30&t=37062

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”