MULTIMAX'S CATCH 22 REFUND POLICY

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

MULTIMAX'S CATCH 22 REFUND POLICY

•   Message 1 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

In December 2016 we renewed our Multimax subscription for one year. Our subscription wasn't due to run out until mid-April 2017 but Multimax were offering a special price reduction for early renewal - 1299 TL - and stated that charges were due to be increased in the New Year.
Since renewing, we have sold our property and are leaving the TRNC permanently at the end of February. Accordingly, believing Multimax's "unconditional guarantee" we called into their office and said we would like our internet connection terminated on the 28th February. (Obviously we need internet access until our departure). No problem.

We were then told that we would receive our refund 2-3 weeks later and that it would be by cheque and given to us personally - a bit difficult when we would be 2000 miles away.

Could Multimax pay the refund directly into our bank account? No.

Could Multimax pay the refund to our nominated representative who could pay the money into our bank account? No

Could we fly 2000 miles back to collect the refund cheque and deposit it in our bank account? No

Can anyone advise us how we can get our "unconditional guarantee"?

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: MULTIMAX'S CATCH 22 REFUND POLICY

•   Message 2 of 168 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Refunds and honouring guarantees are a dirty word here in the north, in my experience!

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

If it's a refund cheque, why not just give you a post-dated cheque now?
Problem solved
Can't imagine what all the fuss is about.
Sounds like someone just being awkward, for the sake of it.
Might be worth talking to someone a bit further up the ladder!

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

We will suggest a post-dated cheque to Multimax. Apparently the reason a refund can't be paid directly into a customer's account is because this incurs bank charges. Providing these were reasonable, we would be willing to pay these but we were not given this option.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

The best option, pay up to 28th.
Deduct that from your total payment.
Also, there could be a deduction for the replacement value of any equipment that may be damaged, between now and then.
They give you a cheque now, for your credit balance.
Everyone's happy
Last edited by Navek on Mon 06 Feb 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 168 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Multimax does offer a 'no quibble' money back guarantee for any unused portion of a contract should a customer who has pre paid for service wish to terminate that contract early for any reason and Multimax does honour this pledge. As far as I know Multimax is the only ISP to offer such a pledge, here or in the UK.

There is a 'procedure' for such terminations. Firstly we have to arrange to come and collect the Multimax customers equipment from the customers premise, at our cost. Once the equipment has been retrieved from the customer we then need to check that it is still in working order after having been retrieved. Once this is confirmed the details are passed to our accounts department, who will then start the procedure of calculating and raising the refund from the day on which we collected the equipment to the end of the contract. Once the refund is ready the customer is then contacted and told they can collect their refund from our office in Girne. In the past we did allow the customer to name a third party to collect the refund on their behalf but the simple truth is this has on occasion led to problems so we now have a policy that the refund may only be handed to the person named on the contract.

This procedure does create problems for someone in wotnodeeds' position, who would like to have continued access up till the very day they are leaving the Island. We are doing our best to help wotnodeeds with this and I personally spoke to them earlier today in order to try and find a solution that works for both them and Multimax as a company. I have suggested that we collect the equipment on the 20th of Feb and that if we can then we will commit to having the refund available for collection by the person named on the contract by the 27th. As this would leave wotnodeeds without a connection at their home from the 20th until the 28th when they leave I also suggested various alternatives to help them in this period, from coming and using the internet at my house, or the Multimax office or suggesting they could use a connection at a neighbour's or internet cafe of bar/ cafe that had free wifi access for this last week on the Island. I also suggested that they could look at adding 3G data for their mobile and use that as a wifi hotspot to cover them for this final week and offered assistance in getting that set up.

Multimax are making every effort to find a solution to this problem that works for wotnodeeds and us as a company and suggestions that we are purposely looking to find ways to make it impossible for wotnodeeds to get their refund or that we do not honour our pledges or are untrustworthy do feel some what harsh from where I am sitting.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

We had several long telephone conversations with Erol yesterday but unfortunately were not able to resolve the situation. We do not expect an instant refund, nor are we bothered about a refund for the six week period until mid-April but had expected Multimax's no-quibble guarantee to have applied to the year's subscription of 1299 TL we paid up-front. According to Erol, for some reason Multimax's Accounts Dept. are unwilling or unable to pay a refund directly into a subscriber's bank account, only a cheque to the subscriber in person. This effectively means that someone who has left the TRNC will not get their refund. Sadly,we are resigned to the fact that we will not get a refund due to this rule.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 168 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Could you not have the amount credited to a friend who is going to remain with Multimax to offset their next bill and have them reimburse you? Just a thought.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

WotNoDeeds wrote:We had several long telephone conversations with Erol yesterday but unfortunately were not able to resolve the situation. We do not expect an instant refund, nor are we bothered about a refund for the six week period until mid-April but had expected Multimax's no-quibble guarantee to have applied to the year's subscription of 1299 TL we paid up-front. According to Erol, for some reason Multimax's Accounts Dept. are unwilling or unable to pay a refund directly into a subscriber's bank account, only a cheque to the subscriber in person. This effectively means that someone who has left the TRNC will not get their refund. Sadly,we are resigned to the fact that we will not get a refund due to this rule.
If they will only pay you by cheque, give them your Bank Details and ask them to walk down the road and pay it in !!!

Is that not easy?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Multimax will only refund by cheque to the subscriber in person. In our case, by the time the paperwork has been completed, we will have left the TRNC. We have explored all the other possibilities, paying directly into our bank, giving the cheque to a trusted third party etc but Multimax are uncompromising. So much for their no-quibble guarantee.

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

There is the other alternative that Erol mentioned - could you not get your internet switched off earlier and find an alternate means for a week or two before you leave? There's lots of places that do free wifi or the mobile internet providers have 3G dongles/wifi modems that you could use. Depending where you are, there are also internet hotspots that you pay online for. Yes it may cost you a little and is probably a bit of a hassle but at least you'd be able to get your money back.

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Dear WotNoDeeds,

If you are resigned to not getting your monies back, ask them to donate it to a charity of your choice. Then you know it won't be inflating their coffers.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Thank you for your suggestion Smiler but it's a non-starter. We have a myriad of things to do before we leave as you can imagine and simply haven't got the time to run around setting up alternative internet. We are also using online banking daily and would not want to do so in an internet café. And why should we, we have paid Multimax for internet use and that's what we're doing. Why Multimax can't just pay the refund directly into our bank account as most other firms would do, we can't imagine. We have even offered to pay any charges. At the end of the day this just seems to us as a way of Multimax getting out of paying the "unconditional money-back" refund to which we are entitled. This falls far short of the "100% customer satisfaction" promised.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

WotNoDeeds wrote:Thank you for your suggestion Smiler but it's a non-starter. We have a myriad of things to do before we leave as you can imagine and simply haven't got the time to run around setting up alternative internet. We are also using online banking daily and would not want to do so in an internet café. And why should we, we have paid Multimax for internet use and that's what we're doing. Why Multimax can't just pay the refund directly into our bank account as most other firms would do, we can't imagine. We have even offered to pay any charges. At the end of the day this just seems to us as a way of Multimax getting out of paying the "unconditional money-back" refund to which we are entitled. This falls far short of the "100% customer satisfaction" promised.
That's nonsense. If you want internet access up to your day of departure then it's your "problem" and your responsibility to make provision for it. We've travelled to the TRNC for holidays of up to three weeks before moving out here permanently and have always been able to get internet access through our phones. If you have a smartphone you can create a wifi "hotspot" and connect any other devices through that.

Close your contract with Multimax in time for your refund cheque to come through and collect it personally. They've explained how it works. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming others.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

We are not blaming others. We are merely trying to get the "unconditional refund" promised in Muktimax's
blurb. It didn't say a refund was conditional upon our being here in person to collect a cheque. Doesn't Multimax's accounts team have the expertise to transfer money electronically? We, like many others I suspect, paid for a year's internet early because Multimax said their prices were going up. That didn't happen either.

Munchkin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Munchkin »

Mowgli597 wrote:
WotNoDeeds wrote:Thank you for your suggestion Smiler but it's a non-starter. We have a myriad of things to do before we leave as you can imagine and simply haven't got the time to run around setting up alternative internet. We are also using online banking daily and would not want to do so in an internet café. And why should we, we have paid Multimax for internet use and that's what we're doing. Why Multimax can't just pay the refund directly into our bank account as most other firms would do, we can't imagine. We have even offered to pay any charges. At the end of the day this just seems to us as a way of Multimax getting out of paying the "unconditional money-back" refund to which we are entitled. This falls far short of the "100% customer satisfaction" promised.
That's nonsense. If you want internet access up to your day of departure then it's your "problem" and your responsibility to make provision for it. We've travelled to the TRNC for holidays of up to three weeks before moving out here permanently and have always been able to get internet access through our phones. If you have a smartphone you can create a wifi "hotspot" and connect any other devices through that.

Close your contract with Multimax in time for your refund cheque to come through and collect it personally. They've explained how it works. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming others.

Mowgli597

Your suggestion of using a smart phone for internet is ridiculous I for one could not run televisions. computers, security cameras, banking ect ect all from one phone not to mention the security risk of doing so. You need to read the thread properly WotNoDeeds has made more than adequate "provisions" for his internet needs why Multimax is being so difficult about this is beyond me.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Munchkin wrote: Your suggestion of using a smart phone for internet is ridiculous I for one could not run televisions. computers, security cameras, banking ect ect all from one phone not to mention the security risk of doing so. You need to read the thread properly WotNoDeeds has made more than adequate "provisions" for his internet needs why Multimax is being so difficult about this is beyond me.
Why would someone selling their house and all their worldly possessions (as wotnodeeds has been doing - and I for one only wished that I was still back where we used to live and had all the space there was to take his brilliant tools and bits and pieces!) want televisions and security cameras? You can perfectly well do all your internet banking with a smart phone (as I do) and use a VPN on it for security (which you should do anyway).

We're taking about a three week period for goodness sake - as I say the length of a decent holiday.

Multimax have never as far as I know promised to use direct bank transfers for refunds. There is a system there. Use it. And take responsibility for your own needs. It's not rocket science. It's just "This is what I want - why won't they provide for me?"

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 168 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Have Kibtec given you back your deposit ?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Mowgli59 you seem to have missed the point entirely and are very keen to give unhelpful patronising advice. No more please, you've made your point. An unconditional refund should be just that - unconditional - and we are entitled to it.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Multimax Gaurantee.jpg

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

https://www.google.com.cy/webhp?sourcei ... onditional

Read the bit "not subject to any conditions."

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear here we go again!

What it is about Kibcom's posters that every time someone reports a problem, there are those who come up with impractical suggestions of what he can do which defeat the point of his complaint , and/or blame him for what is at least prima facie his (or her) misfortunes.

From the information in Erol's post, the situation is clear, Multimax are considering the convenience of their Accounts Department over customer service and, in so doing failing to honour their promise of an "unconditional " refund and may possibly be in breach of contract. If they are not prepared to refund by a method normally accepted and convenient to the customer, they should have made it clear in their literature that this WAS a condition of the guarantee.

I don't know wotnodeeds personally, nor his reasons for selling up and leaving the country (though it is a possibility many of use are increasingly having to consider) but I do know that moving house (even without the added complications of moving country!) is one of the most stressful events in anyone's life, only lower than death of a close relative and divorce and the last thing one needs is added difficulties from the failure of a contract one relied on and/or lack of internet. Apart from which there are a number of other perfectly good reasons why it might be impossible for someone to collect a cheque personally and Multimax are being unreasonable in expecting it.

I personally had serious reservations about renewing my Multimax subscription after the fiasco of their increase charges allegedly but not in fact in common with other ISPs, and it was really only exhaustion and my wretched health problems that lead me to what seemed the easiest course!
I am now regretting it, and will certainly be considering alternatives next year. I suggest that if others put it, politely and reasonably to Multimax that the felt the same, it might save us getting similar nasty shocks.

I appreciate that some delay in making the refund because of removing and checking the equipment may be necessary (thought it would have been ethical to make that clear on the guarantee) but it seems somewhat ironic that a company that claims to be so expert in internet technology should need extra time to complete a simple piece of maths!!!!

I can only suggest (though he may decided it is not worth the cost , risk and aggro) that watnodeeds gives a trusted representative a power of attorney before he leaves: Multimax ought not to be able to refuse to hand over the cheque to such a person but you had better check and make sure first!!!!(
Last edited by Ragged Robin on Tue 07 Feb 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 168 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Lodger wrote:https://www.google.com.cy/webhp?sourcei ... onditional

Read the bit "not subject to any conditions."
This kind of attitude really puts us off and make us wonder why we go the extra mile to offer more...

If you read and understand English, you shall realize that REQUESTING A REFUND for the unused portion of your service is not subject to any conditions, meaning you do not need to show or prove anything to us in order to qualify for the refund. it DOES NOT MEAN however that there will not be a refund procedure to follow once the request is made.

I will try to explain the refund process for you in simple terms:

1. customer requests a refund (day 1)
2. uninstallation of equipment is scheduled, and performed (usually in 7-14 days)
3. accounting calculates refund amount
4. uninstalled rooftop device gets delivered to technical department, checked for faaults and restocked (usually in 4-7 days)
5. Check is prepared (all checks signed every friday). bank does not like international swifts without invoice/small amounts, plus they cost a lot. legal department requires us to issue checks to account holder name, handing or issuing checks to third party is not allowed.
6. customer informed, customer receives the check, process complete

The whole process takes approximately 2-3 weeks depending on current workload.

This particular customer has been told we can go beyond our way and complete all procedures and issue check within 1 week. However, customer expects to use the internet up till last day and demands from us somehow to miraculously complete all the tasks above on their last day on the island.

Kemal
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Message 24 says it all.

RR (message 23). Why is it impractical to make alternative arrangements? Suggestions have been made (none of them impractical) but rejected. The problem is not Multimax. The problem is the user not following the standard procedure for terminating his contract. In fact it seems as though Multimax are offering to cut their standard disconnection/refund time to one week. But still they are criticised for it.

In another post you talked about "sacred cows" on this Forum. It seems to me that for some people one of those "sacred cows" is to defend Multimax and their service offering.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Your post is spot on Ragged Robin.

At the end of the day we are simply asking for our money back. We are not asking for an instant refund, simply for the refund to be paid, when the necessary procedures have been followed) into our local bank account (not an international transfer).

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

And you have been told that you will get your money back, unconditionally, in the same way (no, in fact, in an accelerated way) as every other person who terminates their contract with Multimax.

Why should you be treated differently from everyone else?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Mowgli597 you need to read the posts properly. Do you work for Multimax by any chance?

Munchkin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Munchkin »

A lot of people joined Multimax on the strength of this guarantee it seems now this "100%" unconditional guarantee is worthless and is not worth the paper it's written on. Multimax's unconditional guarantee policy should be removed from their website as it is deceiving people into a false sense of security.

Appalling treatment and deliberately misleading and deceitful. I thought Multimax was one of the better companies in the north but not now a simple and reasonable request was made by Wotnodeeds and they are blocking it in every way they can.

Shameful.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 29 of 168 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Munchkin wrote:A lot of people joined Multimax on the strength of this guarantee it seems now this "100%" unconditional guarantee is worthless and is not worth the paper it's written on.
With respect I would suggest that for those willing and able to follow the standard refund procedure, which is the vast majority of those using this offer, it has proved more than worthless to them.

This motivation for this offer was the idea that no one who is unhappy with the MM service should feel or be 'locked in' because they have paid in advance for it. It was not designed with the thought of 'how can we allow customers who are leaving the island before the end of their contract to be able to have internet access from us till the day they leave and also get a refund of the remaining contract.

At the end of the day wotnodeeds does have the option of receiving a refund under this policy, provided they are willing to go their final week on the Island without MM service in their home. I personally think that using a 3G based alternative to cover them for this final week is a viable option but the choice is the customers.
Munchkin wrote:Multimax's unconditional guarantee policy should be removed from their website as it is deceiving people into a false sense of security.
We will indeed be reviewing how we describe this offer on our website and what additional information we can provide on the website so that the chances of anyone misunderstanding the offer is reduced, in light of this experience.
Munchkin wrote:Appalling treatment and deliberately misleading and deceitful.
Well speaking of 'misleading and deceitful' can I ask what your connection to wotnodeeds is Munchkin, as you would appear to have posted a 'for sale add' on their behalf here http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 15&t=36232 ?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

My next door neighbour.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

WotNoDeeds wrote:Mowgli597 you need to read the posts properly. Do you work for Multimax by any chance?
The standard response to one of RR's "sacred cows" - in this case defending Multimax.

No. I don't work for them. Yes I do read the posts.

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 168 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

At the end of the day wotnodeeds does have the option of receiving a refund under this policy, provided they are willing to go their final week on the Island without MM service in their home. Sad world we live in , that one cannot do without internet access for one week
(Advertising Restricted)

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

[quote="ttoli"...................................................... Sad world we live in , that one cannot do without internet access for one week[/quote]

That is the most valid point anyone has made yet ttoli.. So true, and so sad. Also true and sad (and I speak as one who has moved several times) is that these days the Internet is more than ever necessary as one has to be able to contact removal people, banks, post office, statutory undertakers (in two countries at that!) .

Equally sad but true is that many expatriates are having to consider a return to the UK for financial reasons and in many cases also bad health. This may involved se lling property in an unstable market and without much notice of the date of a move. As an experienced member of the commercial world and a reputable trader , Multimax should have been only too well aware of this fact and capable of realising that such people would be relying on their guarantee It is perhaps fortunate for others that wotnodeeds was the first to discover the anomaly and had the courage to raise the point. As it is there are many who have paid extra to register with Multimax because of the so called guarantee and are now worried about what happens when they move.

I am glad , including for their own sakes, that Multimax are looking at their wording again, and if they were not so aggressive would be prepared to believe it was a misunderstanding or a mistranslation. However the fact remains that "No condition" means just what it says in respect of all aspects of the transaction: you cannot change your mind and say "oh no, we did not mean that, it was only part that was without condition" And "no quibble means just what is says and not" except that you must accept our inconvenient method of repayment."

With regard to the poster who referred to Multimax's method as a normal business method or something that, no it is not es , It is another sad but true fact that most businesses do not refund by cheque, but by whatever method the original payment was made. Do Multimax accept payment by cheque?

The increased cost of bank charges is unfortunate (to it politely) but it is a commercial risk. In this case it appears the customer is prepared to pay these, but they are a commercial risk and Multimax should have factored them in and/or raised the issue with the banks. It is a commercial business and should understand commercial risks and not just pass them on to the customer, particularly on top of an already hefty increase at short notice.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Mowgli597 wrote:Message 24 says it all.

RR (message 23). Why is it impractical to make alternative arrangements? Suggestions have been made (none of them impractical) but rejected. The problem is not Multimax. The problem is the user not following the standard procedure for terminating his contract. In fact it seems as though Multimax are offering to cut their standard disconnection/refund time to one week. But still they are criticised for it.

In another post you talked about "sacred cows" on this Forum. It seems to me that for some people one of those "sacred cows" is to defend Multimax and their service offering.
Mowgli:; I have already explained and so has wotnodeeds why iti is impractical. If you do not understood you have a serious problem of lack of emphathy.

It is not wotnodeeds who is not following the standard procedure: it is Multimax as I have explained in my last post.

Yes, you are right : Although my post about "sacred cows" was actually mainly intended to be about the British Raj establishment, there were two exceptions and Multimax is one of them.... I fail to understand why they are so aggressive and defensive of criticism, even when they would benefit themselves from listening to it. No one is perfect and if they accepted and apologised for errors in a very new and untried area one would understand and forgive. But they seem to think they can walk on water and anyone who suggests otherwise is automatically at fault. What is even more difficult to understand is their "fan club" who rush to their defence and to the attack very unpleasantly anyone who dares to suggest a problem .This raises suspicions of bad practice which would not otherwise arise. Multimax are not a charity very kindly supplying is with an internet service out of the kindness of their hearts! They are a commercial venture which from indications are doing very nicely thank you on the payments of customers who sadly have to rely on a not alway very reliable internet and they should tackle customer complains in a professional manner. I do know that some of the complaints are unreasonable and unpleasantly expressed. This is one of the burdens you have to bear if you make money out of the public (I have had to deal with it myself, but my employers would not have paid me if my reaction was to moan at all customers alll of the time) Again perhaps a more professional attitude would be appropriate.

One further point I must make is how people who are disabled are supposed to get to their offices to collect the cheque, even if they are in the country. I am now preparing a list of organisations that provide accessibility for disabled customers (and other vunerable people)...........This knowledge of this requirement has sent MM straight to the bottom.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 168 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

If you have a trusted & willing friend you could give them POA to collect the cheque & bank it on your behalf. As this is a legal document surely Multimax would have no problem in releasing the cheque to them.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

RR. You're back to your "impractical" argument again regarding internet access for the OP. It is so simple that it is I who think people aren't reading the helpful suggestions being given.

Simply go to Turkcell or whomever provides your mobile phone service and ask for, say, 500MB of internet access. It'll cost in the region of 50TL (I think). It's what I and countless other people, especially holidaymakers, do. Then ask Multimax to disconnect your service and, following their standard procedure, collect your cheque.

What's so hard about that? If you're not technically able to do it I'm sure the nice people in Turkcell will help. Or anyone on this Forum.

But no. We'll spend countless hours arguing about big bad nasty Multimax and the meaning of the word "unconditional" instead of getting off our bottoms and doing something practical about it.

I'm afraid it's just another example of the "me, me, me" attitude so prevalent nowadays. This is what "I" want and "you" have to bend over backwards to satisfy my needs.

Bowman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Bowman »

Point of information:

Inter Bank transfers within the TRNC are limited to a minimum of 7,000.- TRY (Central Banks Rules).

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Legally "unconditional" means just that. It doesn't mean that once you have a customer's money you can change the conditions to suit yourself. Multimax have done this by saying that refunds can only be made to the subscriber in person by cheque. They will not pay a refund back in any other shape or form. For them to say they have gone "the extra mile" to help the customer is a joke. They only seek to justify the unjustifiable. Are these the actions of a reputable Company?

The refund in question is for 1299Tl. This is for the year commencing mid-April 2017 This was paid four months in advance in mid-December. It was paid so early upfront because Muktimax said that there would be a price increase in the New Year and by paying early we would save money, We were also foolish enough to believe their no-quibble guarantee. This increase didn't happen. How many other customers were duped into paying early for no gain?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

WotNoDeeds wrote:Legally "unconditional" means just that.
Means what, exactly?

That you or I or anyone else can interpret it it any way we like?

Is the fact that Multimax want to check their equipment when you cancel your contract not breaking your definition of "unconditional"? Is the fact that their accounts department then have to calculate your refund not breaking your definition of "unconditional"?

Does an "unconditional surrender" in wartime mean that everyone just picks up their kit and goes home?

Of course not. There is a set procedure for breaking the majority of contracts (which is what we enter into with Multimax). For example when we moved to the TRNC we had to give xx days notice to the electricity and gas supply companies, to our internet providers, to our TV service provider, to the water authority, to the phone company. Their "systems" then decided on the amount of our refund (if anything was paid in advance) and how we would receive it. I couldn't go into their office (or even worse onto a public forum) and start lambasting them about not giving me a refund in cash delivered to my door on the day I left - because I certainly needed most of those services until the day we left.

In fact we cancelled the contracts from the end of our last month but left several days before that.

It's called forward thinking, planning ahead, taking responsibility like grown ups, not shouting about it like schoolchildren because we couldn't get our own way.

Gozoa
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Gozoa »

Why not give it in cash?

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 168 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

How much are we talking about? Can we have a whip round, I'm willing to cough up 20TL to start it off. When I moved here I accepted that this wasn't a proper country and I and many others enjoy the benefits of that on a daily basis. Sometimes there is rough to go with the smooth, unfortunately. I haven't been properly following this thread, so I apologise if my comment comes over as flippant. What I have picked up is that Multimax refuse to alter their procedures to accommodate a customer who also refuses to alter his/her plans. The other suggestions as to alternative internet access seem reasonable and sensible to me, or am I missing something?

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Dear Frontman, Thanks for your kind offer - I'll be round this afternoon to collect your 20 TL donation!

Multimax aren't refusing to alter their procedures to accommodate us (Heaven forbid that they'd do that for a customer). They are refusing to honour their unconditional refund guarantee by retrospectively imposing conditions that make it virtually impossible for us to secure the 1299TL to which we are entitled.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Mowgli

Please go back and read all the posts including the OP's and mine, and Multimax's. Until you do you are just wasting everyone's time. Do you really expect wotnodeeds to run around on the last week dealing with everything one has to when moving without the familiar internet arrangements they have PAID FOR. And how do you expect people who cannot walk to get the Multimax's offices just for the convenience of their Accounts Dept. who are ssittting on their backsides!

You havent even picked up that it is not I that currently has the problem. However it may be in future for me and lots of others. In that connection I should be grateful to hear if anyone can tell me the arrangements in these circs for statutory authorities - electric, water etc.

I did suggest the power of attorney route. Alternatively how did you pay wotnodeeds. If it was by credit card, could not MM refund into a credit card? I know that is possible because I have had in done in the past - though not by MM and in different circumstances. It would take a little longer but I gather that does not matter so much.

Frontalman: You are lucky to be able to afford 20TL to subsidise MM. Sadly some of us cant, or if we could would prefer it to go to a needy Charity.
Normally I would agree with you about taking North Cyprus as you find it, but MM are not the traditional Cyprus family business run by two people and their dog. MM are a modern company competing in a very new field, and are obviously sophisticated and at least technologically extremely knowledgeable and sophisticated and could be expectd to behave professionally and should actually be setting an exammple. It seems to me that their legal and admin side are letting them down

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Ragged Robin thank you for telling it how it is. No, we didn't pay by credit card, we paid cash.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Ragged Robin wrote: Mowgli
Please go back and read all the posts including the OP's and mine, and Multimax's. Until you do you are just wasting everyone's time.

Please stop telling me to read posts. Do you think I just come into the Forum and type any kind of response that comes into my head? Please give me more credit than that - even though that's obviously what you think I do. I and others, particularly Earl, have offered solutions to the OP's "problem" but it just seems to be ignored, other than "I haven't time to do it."
Ragged Robin wrote: Do you really expect wotnodeeds to run around on the last week dealing with everything one has to when moving without the familiar internet arrangements they have PAID FOR.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. Please, would YOU read this carefully:

Disconnecting your internet access is one of the things that has to be dealt with when moving house. Together with all the other things I listed in my earlier post (did you read that?): utilities, TV subscription etc. etc.

When doing that (and I, like many on this Forum and living here I suspect, have moved house many times) you PLAN for what you have to do. One of the first things is to find out what notice is required of these companies and how their disconnect/breaking of the contract system works. You don't leave it till the last minute and then bleat because it doesn't suit YOU and YOUR circumstances.

Part of that planning is to find out what alternatives are available for, for example, internet access if you deem that to be so important (and most of us would say it was because of banking etc.)

The OP has been advised of some alternatives, as I said, but chooses to ignore the advice given, instead focussing on "How can I keep my Multimax internet until the last minute AND get my money back?"
Ragged Robin wrote: And how do you expect people who cannot walk to get the Multimax's offices just for the convenience of their Accounts Dept. who are ssittting on their backsides!

That is a totally separate issue since I don't believe, and forgive me if I'm wrong, that the OP has mobility problems. It may need to be addressed in the future.
Ragged Robin wrote: You havent even picked up that it is not I that currently has the problem.

I don't understand what you mean by that. How have I not "picked up that it is not I that currently has the problem"? Please quote one of my replies that implies that. I know the original poster goes by the handle "WotNoDeeds" and that you use "Ragged Robin". Is that sufficient to satisfy you?
Ragged Robin wrote: However it may be in future for me and lots of others. In that connection I should be grateful to hear if anyone can tell me the arrangements in these circs for statutory authorities - electric, water etc.

I too would welcome an answer to that. It was asked much earlier but never answered by the OP (message 19 from "wanderer"). I presume the OP has to get refunds or deposits back from other utilities. How is that going to work?
Ragged Robin wrote: I did suggest the power of attorney route.

And this is easier than a 500MB internet access package from a telco which I can buy in Supreme or many other places?
Last edited by Mowgli597 on Thu 09 Feb 2017 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

WotNoDeeds wrote:Ragged Robin thank you for telling it how it is. No, we didn't pay by credit card, we paid cash.
You are very very welcome wnd. I am dreading the possibility of a return to the UK, and this added problem would make it a complete nightmare.!

I hate injustice and unfairness and believe we should all stand up against it: "All that is needed for tyranny to prevail if for good men to do nothing" I am increasingly concerned by the combined effect of globalisation and increasing necessity for use of the internet is allowing large international (usually American) companies to effectively hold the common man (no offence intended) to ransom, particularly the more vulnerable in various ways, and very very sad that it appears , repeat appears. that a North Cypriot company is following their example. And most of all I am extremely concerned and upset by the members of this forum who appear that can dictate how others behave and think. They appear to be unaware that others may not be able and/or want to do what they think they should.

The other sad thing is that I dont believe that MM intended to "cheat" customers. they simply were so anxious to attract customers regardless that they failed ot appreciate the implications of their wording. If they had considered the problems and rights of the customer they could simply have added
to the no conditions guarantee something like "provided that refund will be made by cheque to the customer in person xxxxxxxxxx days after physical disconnection of the service." but I am glad they are looking at it again as there may be other unknown snags.,

Before I shut up and go off and mind my own business, whichI have been neglecting, I have just oneother suggestion. Transer the contract into the name of a trust friend and then he or she couldcollect the refund and forward it to you. .However I know it is more hassle and rather an imposition on a friend.

I hope despite all this wnd you have a successful and not too traumatic move to he UK and are able to start or renew life there successfully.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Bowman wrote:Point of information:

Inter Bank transfers within the TRNC are limited to a minimum of 7,000.- TRY (Central Banks Rules).
Thank you for that information Bowman.. I for one was unaware of it, and it could cause ordinary residents as much if not more stress of aggravation than MM's so called guarantee!

Its off topic so I wonder if someone might like to start a new topic advising how to cope with its problem, and particulaly if TRNC citizens and companies such as Multimax would tell us if representations have been made and what the response was.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 168 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Ragged Robin wrote:And most of all I am extremely concerned and upset by the members of this forum who appear that can dictate how others behave and think. They appear to be unaware that others may not be able and/or want to do what they think they should..
I'm taking it that that's a not-so-subtle dig at me and my posts.

I, like others, simply offered suggestions (Internet access via a Telco) to help the OP over his difficulty. But instead it became, sadly as usual, a rant against Multimax - together, of course, with the usual accusation against anyone who defends the company "Do you work for Multimax"?

Ok. So together with redefining the word "unconditional" we now redefine "suggestion" to equal "dictate".

Let me quote:

"When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – – that’s all.”
(Through the Looking Glass, Chapter 6)"

Topic closed for me.

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 168 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Ragged Robin we suggested transferring our subscription into the name of a trusted friend but Multimax would have none of it. In fact, they stonewalled every suggestion we made to resolve the situation, many of which were suggested by other posters. We totally agree with your observations regarding Multimax and I'm sure many other Kibkomers do. We posted our experiences to make other residents aware of the situation. In this instance, we feel we have been badly let down by Multimax .

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 168 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Multimax advertised 'unconditional money back guarantee', meaning that anybody can APPLY for a refund and and RECEIVE it without needing to provide REASON or any EXPLANATION.

It was never intended to mean that there is no refund process, or the whole process can be dictated by the customer and MM has to bow down to all customers demands when actually issuing the refund.

1. Customer has filled out a cancellation form
2. it was immediately approved by MM regardless of reason for a full refund on unused portion of the account, THIS IS WHAT UNCONDITIONAL MEANS.
3. Now we are processing the request, where a refund is usually ready by check within 2-3 weeks.

What happens after this is not standard MM procedure, but it shows the good will of MM, even to a person who is no longer wishing to be a MM customer:
4. Customer informs us of his special case that he is actually leaving the country.
5. Customer is kindly explained the processes involved for issuing a refund, and why it takes as long as it does.
6. Several MM employees gets involved, and it is decided that we can shorten the refund time for this customer at no charge.
7. Customer is informed that all processed can be completed and refund issued within 1 week.
8. Customer does not accept, they demand equipment be physically uninstalled from their premises, taken to MM office, handed to technical department for them to check the equipment, then passed to the account department for them to prepare the check and reach the people in charge to sign it and deliver it to them all on the last day the customer is there.
9. MM reevaluates the situation and unanimously decides that customers demand on refund cannot be met.

MM really sorry that you cannot understand, or not willing to understand what 'unconditional' is meant to be in our literature. We always try to use internationally recognized terminology in our materials but it really looks like people expect words to be interpreted differently in Cyprus while accepting/not questioning them back in the UK.

For the last time, UNCONDITIONAL means you will receive refund for unused portion of account, without an explanation required from the customer. There are no conditions for qualifying for a refund, thus the word 'UNCONDITIONAL'.

It DOES NOT MEAN that you can dictate the actual REFUND PROCEDURE, after your cancellation request is approved.

Imagine a customer walking in, filling the cancellation form, gets approved, and he demands refund to be in sexual favors, and says 'but you said its unconditional'...

Its impossible to explain things to people who does not wish to understand.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”