Advice re Virus Protection

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Advice re Virus Protection

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Can anyone please advise me of the average cost of a reliable, economic and simple virus protection product which protects the basic (not lots of fancy extras) for an unadventurous technophobe! Suggestions of one that would be suitable for said technophobe to install would be welcome. Thnks

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Advice re Virus Protection

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Ragged Robin,
I've been using Avast for years, no problems.
Windows - Mobiles - Set Top Boxes -Tablet (Android)

Avast Free Antivirus
Powerful, free security for you and your family.
https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

The only caveat!

Free anti-virus software is worth every penny it costs

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank you for your advice, Navek and Mowglie and for taking the trouble to reply.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Ragged Robin,
Not had a major problem in 14 years of "FREE PROTECTION"
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Depends what sites you visit
Never had to pay for any Anti Virus.
If you feel safe with a paid for service, fair enough.
Good luck

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks Novek. The problem is I cant really afford a "paid up" site, but equally it might be even worse if something went wrong and I lost valuable infor or contact with my UK bank and source of income, through a virus or whatever. I have a few days yet before my current protection runs out, and I am waiting for the views of a friend who is more computer savvy than I. I think my current "Kaspersky" is rather expensive and probably covers more than I need. I use a PC mostly for emails, web searches and occasional radio and TV (latter via MMs VPN) and occasionally a language learning site - though I use the mobile phone more for that. The most important, however, is money transfer. I only have the two items of equipment - the PC and mobile phone. Oh and I use the mobile for photography which I transfer to the PC and sometimes send to friends and family abroad - that is probably my heaviest IT use.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Top 10 Best Antivirus Software 2017
http://www.top10antivirussoftware.com/? ... oCaRTw_wcB

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

RR. The question really is can you (or indeed any of us) afford not to get the best protection possible. As you say we do more and more on line and much of it is sensitive information which we don't want others to find out. We can all see that the banks, for instance, don't want to see warm bodies in branches any more. So we are being made to do our banking on line.

Looking at Navek's post of the ten best security product the No. 1 is Norton - Symantec (which is what I've used for years). Some people don't like it because it's too comprehensive but that to me is a plus point.

From Navek's link I see it's currently on offer for new users for around £25 for the first year. 50 pence a week for peace of mind.

But as I say you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank you very much Novak for your replies and, particularly, your concern.

However as you may have noted from another post, some of us are reaching (in some cases have reached) the pointwhere it is a decision as to whether we can afford essential medication, food of other things. To my mind IT comes well down thelist, and I bitterly resent that I am forced to spen d money on something I dont want and cant afford to bolster others' fortune hunting.! I am determined to be sure I dont spend more on it than Ineed and am still trying to get my head round alternatives.! I do appreciate the time and trouble you have gone to.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I always use Nortons Anti Virus. Never renew at end of yearly subscription. I always check PC world as they always have a special offer.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search-ke ... teria.html

On purchasing just download via internet and install with given Reg Key.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Hi, as a user from bleepingcomputer forums and considering myself a bit of security enthusiast, if you are willing to spend some money, I recommend ESET or Kaspersky's complete solution. If you want a free solution, then Sophos Home or Avast Free. If you use W10 RS2 (Creator's Update) and you are a reasonably trained user, you can also use built-in Windows Defender Antivirus as it is much more advanced now.

If you go with free, other supplemental software must be; Malwarebytes anti-exploit free, Kaspersky's anti-ransomware for business free and Ublock Origin (for chrome/firefox). Yet, the most crucial thing is to train yourself about common security threats and be a conscious user.

If you plan to install Avast Free, just make sure that you make a custom install (like all other free apps it has some bloatware, well not considered as really) it has some components/fancy extras that you don't want for example mail shield if you don't use outlook mail app, game mode, recovery component etc. etc. I recommend Avast Free for free anti-virus because not only it's a good software but also has web shield (even HTTPS scan) that can work with ublock origin and block malicious connections that has malware.

Also, for standalone scanners, I recommend Malwarebytes anti-malware free (not premium trial), Sophos Clean for second opinions. Should be enough for most of the users.

edit: for advanced users, I recommend GlassWire to monitor Windows Firewall and get alert when an application wants to connect internet and block it permanently when needed. I already blocked some unnecessary apps which wanted internet connection.
edit2: DO NOT pirate security software!
I Walk Alone

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”