BBC IPLAYER

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

greenvalley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

BBC IPLAYER

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by greenvalley »

BBC Iplayer doesn't seem to be working. I have tried to watch various programmes but a note comes on screen which reads: Content Currently Not Available.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you know what will help?
Thanx.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: BBC IPLAYER

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

BBC have blocked iplayer but I believe you can get round it with VPN.

I am sure those more knowledgeable will confirm and offer advice.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

A friend of ours is using a VPN think thro' TunnelBear, really pleased with it.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Why does BBC iPlayer think I'm outside the UK?

It’s most likely due to your IP address. Confused? We’ll try to explain:

Just like we need addresses to send and receive stuff in the real world, in the connected world of the internet, devices also need addresses for the same purpose. It’s known as an IP address.

When you request to watch a programme in BBC iPlayer, the programme is sent as data through the internet to the address that’s requesting it.

IP addresses are generally provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and are required to be registered in a particular country.

And because of the way BBC iPlayer is funded, only users with registered UK IP addresses can access our programmes.

So how can I make BBC iPlayer recognise me as within the UK again?

If you’re in the UK and see a message saying you’re not, it’s because BBC iPlayer is unsure you’re in the UK and there are several reasons why this might be.

If however you are outside the UK, either as a resident or on holiday you’ll need to have a look at the Why can’t I watch TV programmes on BBC iPlayer outside the UK? FAQ.

Network Error

If the Outside UK message is a recent problem, try reopening your browser and resetting your router. If that fails, just try a little later as there could have been a network error that may resolve itself.

Private VPN (Virtual Private Network) or Web accelerator

If you are using a VPN and are in the UK, try disabling to see if that helps. If we detect you might be using a VPN, you’ll be unable to play programmes. This is because we’re unable to detect the end point of your private network; we need to be confident you’re in the UK.

And if you’re using a web accelerator try disabling to see if this helps.

Tor Networks

If you are using a Tor network, be aware that only Tor Relays nodes are able to play programmes on BBC iPlayer.

Proxy Server / Work Computer

Some companies and organisations might have an internal network which routes data outside the UK. It’s worth checking with your companies IT support to confirm.

IP address not registered in the UK

If you don’t think it’s related to any of the above suggestions, it’s possible that your IP address is not registered in the UK. Try checking other services that could be UK restricted (like programmes from other UK broadcasters for example). If you do have a problem elsewhere, raise it with your ISP. If you don’t, get in touch using the contact link below as this is something we may be able to help you with.

If after investigating we believe you are incorrectly being recognised as outside the UK, we’ll update our database. This can take up to 2 weeks.

Mobile Devices

In addition to what’s been mentioned above, check whether data reduction settings are enabled as some mobile browser route data outside the UK when data reduction features are used.

Chrome (30.0 and above)

In browser settings, select ‘Bandwidth Management’ and turn off ‘Reduce data usage’

Opera

In browser settings disable ‘Off-Road Mode’

Another option would be to use an alternative browser for accessing the BBC. And if none of these suggestions work, speak to your ISP or network provider.

++++++++++++++++++++++

The above is what I receiving on two laptops, a Kindle fire and a desktop PC. iPlayer has gone

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

sophie, by looking at your IP address, the BBC deduces - correctly - that you are not in the UK.

Fool them by using the MM VPN which will make it look as though you are IN the UK - for the time being, they do not seem able to detect this.

You may need to reinstall iplayer on your various devices (I think that it's been updated to a newer version), but do so with the VPN active and then you should find that it all works again

p.s. In the past when I've updated iplayer, I've sometimes found that I needed a newer version of the BBC Media 'thingy' as well to make it work properly, so don't be surprised if you need to do that as well.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Thanks Sophie, but unable to find 'Bandwidth Management' in 'Settings'.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”