MM bandwidth

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: MM bandwidth

•   Message 51 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Firstly I have checked the general forum and a quick scan appears to show that topics about MM or Internet TV look to be in the correct section.

Also as a reminder, moderators are not on line 24/7 so it if members post a topic in the wrong section it may be a while before it is moved. We don't have time to read every post in depth so occasionally we may miss something and not move it to the correct section. But we are all human.

The different sections on the forum are there to help when searching for something particular such as motors, Internet, items wanted etc.

So this topic re MM BANDWIDTH is in the correct section.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 52 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

This means that TRNC has connection problem when it comes to outside of TRNC
20:59John Tanno:
http://www.gundemkibris.com/kktcde-inte ... 90088h.htm
20:59John Tanno:
above is one post but its in turkish
21:00John Tanno:
You can probably do google translate of this news

This is the reply from NTV this evening, very helpful, not.

Sorry, I realise this should be in the section for TV, perhaps a mod could move it please.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 53 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Multimax just informed me that the bad tv is because ttnet are putting in new fiber,I assume that means fibre optic cables and it will be done soon but we won't hold our breath eh!

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 96 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

So trying to watch PMQ's on Kodi box Filmon live 12-13:00 UK time no vpn
Whilst broadcasting from parliament virtually unwatchable
When they went into the studio ok not a problem no freezing or any problem
ping was 70 10/11 download 1.5to2.5 upload

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 55 of 96 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

My evening MM text has arrived in Ozankoy TT are causing problems again

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 56 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

New upgraded underwater internet cable, may be the answer!
Wonder how old the existing one is,
and how much traffic it was designed to handle?
Navek

dap2410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 57 of 96 in Discussion

Post by dap2410 »

Strictly has started the freezing picture every few seconds, great!! I can put on a DVD

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 58 of 96 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Watched strictly hardly a problem used MM VPN via laptop & HDMI to TV so getting better

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Mine was buffering all the time not watchable changed to watch a DVD when is this problem going to be sorted out

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 60 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

My MM internet was once again poor last night whilst attempting to watch Strictly, even using a VPN and a laptop (we gave up) and today (Sunday afternoon) right now, it isn't that good and I'm just using it for non TV purposes. It's been that way for over 2 weeks as evidenced by this thread. I'm beginning to wildly wonder just what is happening between Turkey and the TRNC. I don't hear any suggestion of refunds or extension of time due to poor service (it has been done in the past), strange that.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 96 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Hector, have you:
Unplugged the modem and waited for 30 secs before switching back on?
Done a speed test? - Results?
Contacted MM with the problem with your reception?

Our MM service is fine, but NTV - a whole different ball game.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 62 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Hi I started this thread. As I said in a reply on this thread. Took my router into MM for resetting. Was free service. All working fine just now

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Yesterday lunch time I was getting about 1 to 2 Mbps, switched everything off for 30 seconds and everything worked ok for the whole evening UNBELIEVABLE

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 64 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I agree with Elizabeth. I've stopped watching TV through a Mag box and switched to using my laptop using a VPN. Still getting problems.

It's all very well saying that it's not the internet provider but the TV provider but if the internet signal strength is good enough surely you shouldn't have problems watching TV either through a TV box or computer.

The question as to why the internet is so weak still hasn't been answered. Why is it weak and what about the Turkish internet provider who supplies the TRNC which was allegedly having 'technical problems' (and definitely not because the bill hasn't been paid)? Surely any 'technical problem' should have been sorted over the past 3 weeks?

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 65 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Speed tests this morning show varying signal strengths...
MM 24th Oct 02.JPG
MM 24th Oct 03.JPG
MM Test 04.JPG
Best Test Yet, 8th August 2016...
10.08.16 (02).JPG
Navek

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 66 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Navek, I notice that three of your tests were to the EXTEND server in Kyenia, and one was to the Multimax server - was this deliberate, or didn't you notice / realise / care which server you were selecting?

If you just hit Begin Test, or Test Again, you don't have any control over which server is used for the test, but if you hover your mouse over the green triangle, you get to choose...

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 67 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Keithcaley,
Always press Begin Test, then Test Again, if there seems to be a problem.
I've never paid any attention to where it's going to/from.
Wasn't aware of options
Will check next time I'm on PC.
Mostly browse via TV, like now, or mobile.
Navek

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 68 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Keithcaley,
It would be helpful if the ISP's informed their clients
the correct way to carry out a speed test.
Especially if it would improve the accuracy of the results for their clients.

Same with IPTV suppliers, how to set up a MAG250/4/6 etc
for receiving their signal.

I had a free trail from an IPTV provider, no longer active on Kibkom.
They explained how to configure my MAG254 for best results.

I did ask NTV how the settings should be, who recommend the MAG250 etc,
they said, "We only supply the signal"

Navek

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 69 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Latest Speed Test (MM) @ app 01:30 25th Oct...
25th Oct 01.JPG
Navek

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 70 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Normally get no problem with the speed to and from Lefkosia with MM but for the real internet speed you have to pick a server overseas, this will indicate any problem with the cables from Turkey

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 71 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Navek, I agree

Jimm, I agree with you as well ! ...although it is useful to test to both your ISP's server and to say, a London based one, because it does at least give you an idea of whether the issue is something that you stand a chance of correcting...or not!

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 72 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Just wondering if anyone can suggest an answer my previous post

"It's all very well saying that it's not the internet provider but the TV provider but if the internet signal strength is good enough surely you shouldn't have problems watching TV either through a TV box or computer.

The question as to why the internet is so weak still hasn't been answered. Why is it weak and what about the Turkish internet provider who supplies the TRNC which was allegedly having 'technical problems' (and definitely not because the bill hasn't been paid)? Surely any 'technical problem' should have been sorted over the past 3 weeks?"

Any offers?

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 73 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

It must be your Internet providers problem,and it is very bad tnite again,we are just getting fobbed off with bulls..t but we all would like the truth,I have just carried out an external ping test and it showed 1.7mbps not good eh!

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 74 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Just received the regular text from MM, again around 7-7.30pm, just what is going on here, surely as customers we should have some information by now, not good enough Multimax.

Muzer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 75 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Muzer »

Yesterday I was having the same discussion with a member of the MM crew. I was saying that the prroper check was to check outside trnc as 99% of people us websites out side of Cyprus. I was told no I was wrong the only checks they would accept was the ping check within the trnc as that's the only service they are providing us with . What a load of rubbish. No other provider would get away with this type of fob off. And I was also told that everyday I had gone ov my limit. At this point I asked what I could do to increase my limit answer nothing the service they provide is for holiday users who don't use much data RUBBISH.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 76 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

As we can't watch live TV (yet again) this evening, I thought I would check my texts from MM

'We are currently experiencing network issues that are potentially degrading service to all customers. The problem appears to be our links out of Cyprus provided by TTnet in Turkey and we are working with them to get the issue rectified as soon as possible. We apologies (sic) for any disruption to your connection.'

According to my mobile, I've had exactly the same text on the 13th October, 14th October, 15th October, 17th October, 19th October and tonight 25th October.

Just how are MM 'working with them' (TTnet) to get the issue rectified? Not successfully that's for sure.

Refund? Extension of contract for free? Customer loyalty and service important to MM, it appears not.

Caveboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 77 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Caveboy »

Shame they appear to be losing interest in their customers,used to be really hot (for here) on service and updates...

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 78 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Had buffering problems again last nite buffering TV through android box, changed t to TV through PC all OK.
Why the difference techy People?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 79 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Do you connect to the router via WiFi or with a cable?
Is the router near to the TV / Laptop / Android box?
If using wifi, and not near the router, then the issue may be a weak WiFi signal, or interference from other devices (even neighbours' devices!) with the PC having a slightly better WiFi sensitivity or selectivity.
So the issue could be nothing at all to do with MM and everything to do with your installation / set up...
For best results, connect whatever device you are using directly to the router with a cable, and turn the device's WiFi OFF.
2nd best option, if it is impossible to run a cable between the two points: use 2 'Powerline adaptors' - these are like 13Amp plugs that plug into a wall socket, one near the router, and one near the Laptop or Android box, a lead connects one to the router, and another lead connects the other one to the Laptop or Android box, and they then send the internet signal over your house wiring.

There is a version which not only connects to the 'TV device', but generates a strong WiFi signal in the room as well, to improve WiFi reception on your 'phone or Tablet etc. You can have one of these things in each room - I've got 'em all over the place!

There may be many other explanations in your particular situation, and I have no idea about your setup or its layout, but you do seem to have demonstrated that on the particular occasion which you have told us about, the issue had nothing to do with MM...

I bought a second hand Android box from someone on the forum who had been having a running battle with MM for weeks, insisting that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her installation, and that it was all MM's fault, and when I went around to collect it, I found that the router was situated 2 rooms away from the box, and that the WiFi signal barely registered

Of course, when I got it home, I connected it up & it worked perfectly and still does. I think that MM gave her a refund just to get rid of her - I can't say that I would have wanted her as a customer either, because she just wouldn't listen!

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 80 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

But mm have said it is ttnet

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 81 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

michelle wrote:But mm have said it is ttnet
That doesn't prevent Mimi2 or anyone else having additional installation or interference issues at their own premises.

What's your explanation then?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 82 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Hi Keith, router is 50CM from android Box. Connected by Ethernet cable. When I use PC it's about 1metre away connected by wifi

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 83 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

We have just paid 1299tl to mm and we have 0.1.7mbps and no picture or sound,total crap again

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 84 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

michelle wrote:We have just paid 1299tl to mm and we have 0.1.7mbps and no picture or sound,total crap again
That sounds like a 'local' fault then - even when TTNET are playing up, you should get a minimum speed of at least 4Mbps to the MM Kyrenia server. It could be local interference, but whatever it is, it needs to be investigated!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 85 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Mimi2 wrote:Hi Keith, router is 50CM from android Box. Connected by Ethernet cable. When I use PC it's about 1metre away connected by wifi
That sounds as though there could be a problem with the Android box (or a faulty cable, which is not very likely, but still a possibility).

Have you tried removing the power from the android box, counting to 10, kicking it (joke!) & then plugging the power back in to see if it makes a difference?

Also, I'm told that it can be beneficial to 'clear the cache memory' periodically on android boxes, although I never seem to have any issues related to that...

Of course, it's always possible that whatever was causing your problem (assuming that it was something external to your installation) righted itself while you were busy swapping over from Box to laptop - weirder things have happened!

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 86 of 96 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Keith, could you please tell me where you bought your 'Powerline adaptors'? Would I find them at most Yapi Markets?

I would use them to boost the WiFi signal in my house, but first need to go find one and ask how they work. My laptop has no ethernet port, so I have to us WiFi.

Thanks.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 87 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

blueparrot wrote:Keith, could you please tell me where you bought your 'Powerline adaptors'? Would I find them at most Yapi Markets?

I would use them to boost the WiFi signal in my house, but first need to go find one and ask how they work. My laptop has no ethernet port, so I have to us WiFi.

Thanks.
Computer shops! - Laconic, Comaks, etc...

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 88 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Managed to watch the Crystal Palace v Liverpool game last night,
in HD on NTV ( MAG254) few pauses, mostly during replays, otherwise OK.
Good game too.
Navek

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 89 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Hi Keith, cleared the cache on the android box. Now seems to be OK. The boss managed to watch Strictly live with no buffering. Got me some browny points

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 90 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Well, according to Chris Elliott on Cyprus Scene, MM sending out the same text

“We are currently experiencing slow speeds. The problem appears to be with our links out of Cyprus provided by TTnet in Turkey and we are working with them to get the issue rectified as soon as possible. We apologise for any disruption to your connection.”

for the last 3 weeks without actually resolving the problem is 'Brilliant customer service'. Really?

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 91 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

I got it as well again last night getting really annoying as we pay for internet connection not just connection to Lefkosa

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 92 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:I got it as well again last night getting really annoying as we pay for internet connection not just connection to Lefkosa
I'll bet that MM find it really annoying as well - after all, they are paying TTNET - and only TTNET can fix this problem. My feeling is that it will take a new fibre-optic undersea cable, so I wouldn't hold your breath!

The main problem is the vast increase in the use of the internet for viewing TV. Only a few years ago, this was barely achievable in most developed Countries, & quite unimaginable in TRNC, but now everyone thinks that it should be just like turning on a light switch!

If you want a 100% reliable Internet connection, provided with perfect efficiency, you could always move to Stuttgart!

Didn't it occur to you when you moved here that for as long as the Greek Cypriots keep TRNC isolated, our 'phone lines and internet are going to be at the very end of one single, very long, piece of wire? (well, ok, 2 x wires ) - and that communications are always going to be 'Iffy'?

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 93 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Keith you will probably find that the wires are actually a coaxial cable not just two wires, why do you always try and put people down when they post things

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 94 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:Keith you will probably find that the wires are actually a coaxial cable not just two wires, why do you always try and put people down when they post things
Jimm, I wasn't trying to 'put you down' - I was trying to explain something inherent in our geographical and political situation that you seem unable to grasp.

There is no point in your moaning about the level of service provided by MM when it is not within their control!

...and after more than 40 years in the elctronics industry, I'm well aware of the different types of cables, thank you! - Just who was trying to put who down there? Pan calling kettle black, methinks

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 95 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Keith well aware of our geographical situation, MM take our money to supply internet connections and they surely have a responsibility to their paying customers to ensure the connection, they should be taking this matter up with their suppliers to ensure we get what we are paying for it is no good saying they cannot do anything about it they must have contacts with the appropriate people

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 96 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:Keith well aware of our geographical situation, MM take our money to supply internet connections and they surely have a responsibility to their paying customers to ensure the connection, they should be taking this matter up with their suppliers to ensure we get what we are paying for it is no good saying they cannot do anything about it they must have contacts with the appropriate people
Jimm, from what they have told us on numerous occasions, they are in continual dialogue with TTNET. Unfortunately, they have no leverage, as TTNET are in a monopoly position! Are you not aware of this?

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”