MM bandwidth

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

MM bandwidth

•   Message 1 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Been streaming TV all evening no buffering. As soon as Strictly starts. Non stop buffering. Get your act together Multimax. Open up the bandwidth when very popular programs are on TV.
We pay good money & only use internet maybe 10 to 12 % of the day

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: MM bandwidth

•   Message 2 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Did you ring Multimax to report it?

What did they say?

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Same here in Karsiyaka, as typing stopped !!!!!!!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 4 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

No problems in Catalkoy.

Internet fine....casting FilmOn from tablet to tv via google chromecast. Use FilmOn flr UK tv channels and more.......watching Strictly Come Dancing no problems. Also watched Sky Sports 1 all afternoon using Mobdro.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

After 5 clear minutes started buffering again. Turning off now.

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Managed to watch maximum 30% of the England game the other 70% watching a frozen screen, it got better later, managed to watch the Scotland game without problem

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 96 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Exact same problems with Extend. It suggests there is a more deep-rooted problem than just potential bandwidth. Too much traffic and they'll all say that problem is with Turkey.

Muad_dib
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Muad_dib »

Tried to watch the football tonight same thing,stop start,got so sick of it after 10 minutes turned tv off as all other programmes the same.SICK OF IT

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Been a nightmare from about 3 pm had to turn off. Tried again about 6 pm same Multimax says cannot answer due to number if calls 3 times so no joy there. Let's wait for football, had to joy whatsoever. Turned it off 10.30 pm, sod it. I am in Karsiyaka and perhaps it's me because doesn't seem to be very many complaints on forum,

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 96 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

Same with mine in Esentepe. Sent them an e-mail over the week-end but no reply yet.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

MM said they needed to reset my router. Took it in to office, they took it out back for 10mins. Now seems to be fine.
Have to wait till next her in doors, must watch programme, to see!!!!!

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

TV atrocious again yesterday, went to bed at 8.30, up at 3.15 thought I would watch the futty on play back but it was still freezing then.
I am in Ozenkoy
Would probably get more comments if this thread was on the general forum

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Dave G wrote:TV atrocious again yesterday, went to bed at 8.30, up at 3.15 thought I would watch the futty on play back but it was still freezing then.
I am in Ozenkoy
Did you ring Multimax to report it?

What did they say?

Apart from the time that MM reported an issue with TTNET in Turkey, TV via Internet has been absolutely fine here (Alsancak, near Green Petrol) so it would seem that there is a fault condition affecting your situation.

Personally, if the TV goes 'iffy', with a poor speedtest result, and rebooting everything doesn't cure it, I ring 'em immediately & demand that they fix it NOW! There's absolutely no point in leaving it, - it will never get better on its own, and if the fault has temporarily cleared by the time that you report it, they'll never find out what was causing it, and it will just come back to plague you

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 14 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Dave G wrote:TV atrocious again yesterday, went to bed at 8.30, up at 3.15 thought I would watch the futty on play back but it was still freezing then.
I am in Ozenkoy
There are various sections on the forum for different topics. This prevents the general forum becoming cluttered up. If members click on the view active posts link or the unread posts link at the top of the page it does help to narrow things down. Also having posts in the correct section, helps when carrying out a search or if members were interested in a particular subject.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Regu
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Regu »

I am in Ozenkoy
I'm in Ozankoy and was having problems with my TV too, last night and the previous night. Started around 19:00 and was hit and miss all evening. I use NTV and Filmon addons on Kodi. Spoke to mm at about 22:00 and my situation could have been down to throttling because I used up the 4gb allowance during peak. But I'm not entirely convinced because it should then drop to 4Mbps which should be enough for IPTV anyway. They also mentioned a known problem with NTV servers so probably best to avoid that if you're experiencing problems. Erol is a top bloke and one of their tech guys, who will try and help me with fault diagnosis if I hit problems again tonight. It's very difficult to do that retrospectively because they don't have access to all the info and diagnostic tools. I would definitely notify them if you're encountering problems because that will help them isolate problems.

Ozangirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Ozangirl »

I have just been online to NTV and it appears that the problem with our TV picture is not multimax but it is the servers between Europe and the TRNC and their technicians are working on it. My internet speed through MM is fine but the buffering and timing out is quite bad. They have said they hope to have it fixed in the next few days, only quoting what they have told me though please!

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Again in Karsiyaka. Same thing again ring MM and say all operators are busy. All ok up until about 7 then have to switch tv off. Internet ok. Operators were busy yesterday from 6 and tonight 7 even thought I would give to husband for Turkish, same busy. I have always praised MM but bit fed up tonight, this has been since Sat.

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Meant also to thank Ozangirl for her post

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

I remember the good old days when Kemal and Erol used to come on here and tell you what was wrong(and put up with a fair bit of abuse).
I assume multimax has been taken over,and subsequently, no more text messages or info on here.
The service has been appalling in the last week-buffering all the time.
A bit of information would be useful

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 20 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

We are with Multimax, live near Catalkoy.

Fortunately for us we dont seem to have had any major problems over the last few days.

We also still receive a text message if there are any faults or problems. Hopefully those experiencing issues have raised a support ticket so they can track and get progress updates.

Frustrating, so problem needs to be reported, logged, identified and sorted.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Philoz wrote:I remember the good old days when Kemal and Erol used to come on here and tell you what was wrong(and put up with a fair bit of abuse).
I assume multimax has been taken over,and subsequently, no more text messages or info on here.
See post 13

I can't understand why you would put up with it for a week and then come on a forum which has got nothing to do with the service provider and complain, instead of reporting a fault ASAP.

Would you do the same if your car was playing up, or your washing machine?

Madness

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 96 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Philoz wrote:I remember the good old days when Kemal and Erol used to come on here and tell you what was wrong(and put up with a fair bit of abuse).
There is nothing related to MM about this post. MM does NOT provide TV service and someone just happened to type in 'MM Bandwidth' on the subject and everybody is complaining about a problem which is not related to MM.

If you DO have a MM problem, your TV may buffer, however, your TV buffering alone does NOT indicate that you have a problem with MM.

Best way is to contact your TV provider first, and if you believe you may have an internet problem, then contact MM at the moment you have a problem so they check your connection and see if it is MM related.

If there is a general MM issue, you get an email or sms. If you dont receive one, it is likely that either problem is not MM related, or there isnt a general problem to report. Waiting for problems to fix itself usually does not work.

On the contrary to popular belief, telephone is not the only way to contact MM.

I would respond to this post sooner if I saw anything related to MM to respond to, even though I am no longer actively involved with MM.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I've also had very poor internet for a few days in Karsiyaka. As already said, just try and watch Strictly, no chance even the Zoe Ball on BBC2 extra in the evenings. Yes I have spoken to MM and I was told that it was NTV having server problems over the past 4 (now 5) days. Text tonight from MM stating problems with Turkey connection. I'm fed up and not happy at having paid for a platinum service am not getting it. Very poor internet even for checking the internet this evening.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Despite what some members of this forum may feel I will stick my head above the parapet and say that the service being provided by multimax of late falls far short of what customers are paying for. For a few weeks now it has been almost impossible to watch tv in the evening, which is when most people do watch it, I have contacted multimax but just feel they are passing out excuses, not reasons and have to say I will have to think very carefully when my renewal is due as to whether to subscribe again.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

We too are experiencing buffering & freezing for past few days. Not sure of previous month as we have been to UK. Seems as it is as soon as Strictly comes on! Not contacted MM yet. Is it a possibility that because Strictly is so popular & more people turn on their tv's that the service is not capable of the surge?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I doubt that you will ever get 100% reliable TV via the internet in Cyprus - there are just too many variables, and an extremely long 'supply chain'.

Most of the issues seem to be caused by the programme originator's website being overloaded at times when popular programmes are screened, or by general traffic on the Internet elsewhere on the planet, or by poorly set up installations / inadequate siting of WiFi points and routers in users' homes, not to mention actual fault conditions.

The Internet itself was never designed to be suitable for TV reception, and it is a small miracle that it works reasonably well for even a fraction of the time.

If perfect TV reception is absolutely essential for your wellbeing, then I think that the alternatives are: -

1) Learn how to download programmes overnight and watch them the next day.

2) Subscribe to a Satellite service, and buy the appropriate equipment.

3) Move back to the UK (although you may experience exactly the same problems there if you try to watch TV via the Internet!)

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 27 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I would agree with Keithcaley.

As an experienced telecoms and IT engineer I will say that internet tv will never ever be 100% reliable. Even in the UK problems will still be experienced. Indeed in the TRNC, given its isolation I think the internet service is extremely good.

It really is about understanding the service provided and whether it works for you. If like us you are not a tv addict, happy to expect some disruption, download programmes to watch later etc then internet tv is fine. If you are an addict, cannot accept some disruption then look at a satellite system and probably increased costs.

For us internet tv via a service provider is good enough. Our provider sends regular updates via text of any issues or problems and in the main it works 95% of the time. Given we only pay for the internet service and then use Kodi, Mobdro, FilmOn all free of charge and stream via google chromecast to our tv to watch UK channels, live sport including Sky Sports and films we find the service excellent. We watch live news, soaps etc via FilmOn, live football via Sky on Mobdro and also films via Kodi. It works for us.

Even in the UK internet tv is not perfect. The only thing I would say about service providers here in the TRNC is that whilst they provide a very good service they need to try and set the customer expectation a little better with regards to internet service and also internet tv. It will never be 100% perfect.

Regu
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Regu »

I had a conversation with Erol regarding the recent problems that I too have been experiencing. The explanation I got was that there is an issue with one of the two internet routes going out from Turkey (TTCOM) to the rest of the world. MM do not control which route is selected for your traffic when you watch TV via the internet. From what I understand it's automatically selected for load balancing purposes. One of the routes is causing problems when under load that is only really apparent when you're streaming continuously, when you use the internet for general browsing it's unlikely that you'll notice any problems. It doesn't matter which service you use for IPTV , it depends which of the routes is selected under the covers for you, hence why not everyone is getting issues.

According to Erol a possible work-around is to use a paid for VPN as it appears that VPN traffic is more commonly routed via the 'good' link. Also it's worth knowing that this is an issue for all internet users in the TRNC and Turkey, irrespective of their ISP, so it would be interesting to hear what the recent experience is of non-MM customers.

Hope people find this info helpful.

NorthCyprusLife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 96 in Discussion

Post by NorthCyprusLife »

as far as I understand it, NTV specifically have had their own issues to contend with this last week in particular. MM have not been liable for that issue themselves and I don't believe, as others have written here, that it is solely related to NTV. Unless you are extremely technical, then I guess you assume television and internet are one and the same?

- if customers did their own speed checks from the MM site they should be seeing that their general internet speeds are well within those required to run television - first check done by the customer themselves with no need to call MM straight away to complain their telly isn't running (MM don't supply TV do they.... just internet) If those speeds are below 4mbps then contact them, as this is not acceptable

- try streaming from another source via a website based medium such as filmon.com - more often than not you will see a difference here than a service such as NTV

- if you are attempting to watch TV via a wifi connection, DON'T - always cable connections, wifi is not reliable enough for heavy streaming

- 3rd Party VPN - try paying for one of those for a month and see how that goes

Multimax seems to be getting a lot of flack because people don't realise that television is its own demon..... it has its own issues, and I am amazed by the amount of people who seem to expect things to be spot on with no issues ever..... unrealistic to say the least here....... after 12 years of being here I am still pleasantly happy with the speed at which things have moved on.... maybe more people should manage their expectations? Very frustrating for people who paying companies for a TV package indeed, contact them directly.

NTV have been telling customers it is Multimax from chatting to people, however testing has shown television issues are not connected to internet connections solely.

And perhaps both Erol and Kemal have got too jaded by some peoples comments on here to bother with responding any more...... I wouldn't either

jacob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jacob »

I have just spent a few weeks in TRNC and the internet an TV were appalling, how do you all cope, glad to be back in civilisation again. What a crock of crap you have to go through using a kodi box. I should add, I wasn't with MM

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 96 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

I too have just spent a few weeks in NC and apart from the odd buffering my Kodi box work fine most of the time, tablets also worked fine.

And I am with MM !

Moggiecat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Moggiecat »

We're with MM and they are saying the problem is with the fibre optic coming from Turkey we've got around this by hooking the laptop to the tv and using filmon on there no problem now even watching strictly now without buffering

madeincyprus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 96 in Discussion

Post by madeincyprus »

We are currently with MM. Most nights we cannot even open pictures on Facebook, let alone watch TV. Sadly afierce 3 years with mm I think it's time to leave.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 34 of 96 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

No, idea what the issue is, but we are with MM. No problems using internet or watching tv live steeaming via wifi from tablet to tv using chromecast.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 96 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Mine was fine until 7:00 pm last night then the buffering started, I switched from using filmon to my sling box but still buffering, presume it is because too many people are watching Strictly and there is not enough bandwidth from the servers pretty good at other times, I am with MM

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I'm with MM. Same buffering problems yet again last night (Saturday) on the paid for NTV service. I switched from using a new MAG 254 box to using a laptop using a VPN (as suggested on the Forum) and it did improve the picture noticeably but still buffering especially during 'Strictly'.

Just what are the internet service provider companies (such as MM, Extend etc.) doing about the unacceptable lack of bandwidth (internet service) coming from Turkey? Why are those problems happening anyway? I don't accept that it's ok for the provider companies to simply blame Turkey.

I was sold the internet service on the promise that I only needed a minimum of 2mb downloads to watch TV in the evenings and providing I didn't exceed my downloads limit between 4pm & midnight (and as I'm paying for the platinum service just to make sure) I wouldn't have any problem watching TV.

Answers on a postcard to...

dap2410
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 96 in Discussion

Post by dap2410 »

TV still unwatchable with freezing and buffering, now a week on. When are we going to hear something from our internet providers as to when this inconvenience might end. You have our subscriptions, get your head out of the sand and talk to your customers. When subscription stop you might think about doing something then!!

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 96 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Monday 7.15 pm normally starts playing up at 6 hold on perfect tonight as I type. Hope football at 10 will be watchable, I don't care but Ergun does.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Does anyone know what is going on here, we have had the standard problem message from MM for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday evening, generally about 7.30 pm, plus NTV are having problems too which appears just to affect Northern Cyprus.
One off problems are the norm for the internet but surely there is something going drastically wrong here, could it be a genuine problem related to issues in Turkey, or is it a case of got the money so that is ok?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 96 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

At the risk of being shot at dawn. If your viewing problem is on TV, contact your provider. If the problem is internet connection speed, contact your provider. Multimax is NOT a TV provider!!! How many times does this have to be stated on this forum? Mods, please delete any further posts relating MM/TV provision, it is now a chore.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 96 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

At the risk of being shot at dawn by the "unofficial" forum police if someone is watching TV through an android box then it IS a problem with the internet as the bandwidth is poor..... which is the title of this thread.

Why should a thread be closed just because someone dislikes it...if you have no interest in this topic then don't read it...simple

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

tomsteel wrote:At the risk of being shot at dawn. If your viewing problem is on TV, contact your provider. If the problem is internet connection speed, contact your provider. Multimax is NOT a TV provider!!! How many times does this have to be stated on this forum? Mods, please delete any further posts relating MM/TV provision, it is now a chore.
I do wonder at times just how many moderators there are on this forum.
It's obvious that many people ARE having problems and that they HAVE contacted their supplier, be that internet or tv. This subject is in the appropriate section of the forum so if it doesn't interest or affect you perhaps you should refrain from entering the discussion instead of dictating what can be posted by others.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 96 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

You miss the point. Complaining about your TV reception and blaming an internet provider is just as sensible as blaming your poor refrigeration on the electricity provider. They are separate companies. Surely this topic now belongs in either the internet or tv section, as per Soner's instruction.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 44 of 96 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

tomsteel wrote:You miss the point. Complaining about your TV reception and blaming an internet provider is just as sensible as blaming your poor refrigeration on the electricity provider. They are separate companies. Surely this topic now belongs in either the internet or tv section, as per Soner's instruction.
Actually it is in the Internet and computers section

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 96 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

It may well be Keith, however, it is also in the main page forum.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 96 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Does it really matter guy's ?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 96 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

According to the owner's rules, yes it does. Otherwise, do not have rules.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 96 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Where is it on the general forum, I can't seem to find it.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 96 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

tomsteel wrote:You miss the point. Complaining about your TV reception and blaming an internet provider is just as sensible as blaming your poor refrigeration on the electricity provider. They are separate companies. Surely this topic now belongs in either the internet or tv section, as per Soner's instruction.

You don't get it do you tomsteel ?
Let me try and explain.... If you watch TV through an android box no TV company is involved as your TV programs you watch are brought to you via the internet..... so your ISP is the only company responsible for the bandwidth you receive .
You can not complain to a TV company because there is no TV company involved you can only complain to the ISP for poor bandwidth (which is what people are saying).

Got it

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 96 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

elizabeth wrote:Where is it on the general forum, I can't seem to find it.

Elizabeth
Its in the " Internet & Computers" section just where it should be can't for the life of me see what the problem is...

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”