Looking for New ISP

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

JBA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Looking for New ISP

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by JBA »

At the moment I am with Multimax - originally on a Gold package. However, once I started using IPTV I was quickly hitting their 'Traffic Management' limits after which TV became unwatchable. So I upgraded to Platinum which gave me 100% more watching time but it is still not enough.

I am basically an invalid and at my age I don't sleep a lot, so I watch a lot of tv. At the moment I get about 5 hours watching after 4pm (it was a bit above 2 hours on Gold) but noticeably less if I watch an HD channel. The fact that the basic speed of Platinum is 20mbps (much too fast for my needs) means nothing when you are chopped back to 5mbps. Multimax say that 4mbps is enough for IPTV but it certainly isn't for mine (RapidIPTV) - maybe mine is heavier on traffic than most but I wouldn't know.

So I am looking for an ISP that will give me a pretty constant 10mbps but has no daily download limit.

Any suggestions?

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Looking for New ISP

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

I used to work for Multimax so my answer is biased but at the same time a professional one.

I regret to inform you that there is not one single ISP that provides the quality of service that even come close to what you are getting with Multimax.

The best 'advertised' speeds you would find in the market from competitors is 8mbps, but you would be lucky to get a quarter of that on busy hours even though they claim 'unlimited' bandwidth.

The way I see it, you have 2 options:
1) You change your IPTV providers, there are solutions out there that provide same/similar quality feeds while using much less bandwidth by employing better compressions
2) You subscribe to a dedicated connection, normally only offered to big business that have high demands. In this setup, you not only get an antenna on your end, but also a dedicated antenna pointing at you from the nearest basestation. A chunk of MM bandwidth is reserved just for you, 24/7, that will not be used for anything or anybody else. You also get 24/7 support 365 days a year and also a Service Level Agreement. 11Mbps Dedicated connection costs 600TL per month.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

I have the platinum package and it was fine for a few months but recently l appear to have been hitting the limits very quickly, I have now started putting all of my other devices on airplane mode at 4pm and switching off the internet when not watching TV, even if it is only for a few minutes, this seems to have helped a little but I am still not getting full coverage through the night.
Another suggestion could be to have two packages from multimax, keeping one unplugged until needed, I assume this could be done and it would be a lot cheaper than having the dedication connection suggest by kbasat.
A bit extreme I know but it could be a solution

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Presumably the problem is with live TV only, right?

Otherwise, you can just download what you want during off-peak times and watch the programmes whenever you like?

Or have I misunderstood something?

JBA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by JBA »

You understand correctly blueparrot - but where to download from?

Not feasible I'm afraid Dave G , my ip adddress is registered with Rapidiptv and that is the only 1 they will transmit to. I can change it online but what a hassle.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

JBA, I will be getting Multimax broadband installed soon and will try to download programmes during non-peak times.

I understand this is easily done, but have not yet done it myself.

Can others on this Forum advise?

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Interesting suggestion, that of having two multimax lines/receivers/accounts so that when you have reached limits on one you can switch to the other. Is that feasible/possible?

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Hi Hector, I can't see why not, when I had Multimax installed 5 months ago I still had my previous providers Internet working for a further 6 weeks and I just swapped my box between the two, my TV provider did not ask for my IP address, I have a Mag 250 box and all I had to do was give them the box number, I have used the same box in UK & Kazakhstan, just take it with me and plug it in. I am sure Multimax will confirm if this will work on not

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”