Router on or off

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Router on or off

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Any advice on this appreciated, a friend of ours has said that the router should be switched off every twenty four hours, or even overnight, what do others do with theirs.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Router on or off

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

I keep my router on all the time both here and in the UK, just switching off when I am away for an extended length of time.

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

As far as i have been able to establish, there are no hard & fast rules. I leave mine on 24/7.
However, if your system/house is not protected by surge protectors, the odd power cut may have detrimental affects on electronic equipment.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi elizabeth,
Router switched off every night, safety reasons.
Also switched off/on, if there are any streaming/internet issues,
as advised by ISP, to reset connection.
Navek

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

might be worth googling for the answer. I leave mine on all the time, have a surge protector and honestly cannot see that it is taking that much electricity

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Mine left on 24/ hrs except when going away for more than a weekend.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by erol »

There is no right or wrong answer really. I tend to leave mine on constantly and just reboot it occasionally.

Just one thing to note for MM users, we do on occasion update the software on the device we place on peoples roofs and we typically schedule these updates for 3am in the morning. So if you always turn of the power supply to the device on the roof (not the same power supply as the router in the house but usually 'next' to it) then you may not get these updates.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Thank you all for your help

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

erol wrote:There is no right or wrong answer really. I tend to leave mine on constantly and just reboot it occasionally.

Just one thing to note for MM users, we do on occasion update the software on the device we place on peoples roofs and we typically schedule these updates for 3am in the morning. So if you always turn of the power supply to the device on the roof (not the same power supply as the router in the house but usually 'next' to it) then you may not get these updates.
Erol I was a bit perturbed to hear that this happens and yet up to now customers were unaware of the need to leave the power to the roof-top gizmo on for firmware updates...

I am now leaving mine on but closing down all other kit to reduce heat, electricity usage and because we have lost several bits of expensive kit inthe power surges that follow a power cut.... (2 microwaves and two aircon units to date)...

So when will we be told an update is imminent and to leave them on? If you schedule them - then you know - so why can't we know? Surely that's something the business could tell its customers...
Last edited by Groucho on Wed 08 Jun 2016 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

I will not have had any updates then, as I turn mine off as I retire and switch on when I arise. Am I out of date then multimax?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by erol »

pc4854 wrote:I will not have had any updates then, as I turn mine off as I retire and switch on when I arise. Am I out of date then multimax?
You may be. You could just leave it on overnight one night a month or every couple of months and that should ensure you get any updates.

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

I am also concerned that MM have not informed me that they do updates in the early hours. I turn my router off before I retire to conserve electric and for safety (as I do not trust the electrics), so will not have any of the updates. As suggested why can't MM inform it's customers when it is doing an update?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

So if we leave it on once a month, will it receive all back updates MM ?

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Mimi2 wrote:So if we leave it on once a month, will it receive all back updates MM ?
short answer yes

also, we regularly check for customer equipment that is missing crucial updates and initiate them manually whenever we can.

it is obviously more convenient for everyone to get updates automatically, for the rest few customers, they were probably updated by MM staff manually at one one time or another.

The reason why we schedule updates at off hours is because some updates requires device reboots and disconnections which would be invonvenient if you are actually using internet at that time...

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”