Balance tank is losing water

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

davidthomas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Balance tank is losing water

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by davidthomas »

My swimming pool balance tank is losing water. After the very heavy rain we had in December both the pool and the tank were overflowing. The following day the tank was only half full and the next day it was empty.

I took off all the valves and checked that they were operating properly and then closed them all. The next lot of heavy rain again filled the pool and tank, but tank was empty in 2 days. So it seems that the tank is losing water through the concrete walls, unless there is some other explanation.

I would appreciate any advice on how the walls can be waterproofed and what the likely cost would be.

gates
Business contributing to forum

Re: Balance tank is losing water

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

hi we can give it a coat of insulation after giving it a good clean and making sure the walls and floor are ready to acept this to get the best resutls you can get to us vie our web site http://www.braceybuilders.com were we can look and check it out and give you a no obligation price for a good job that will work and also with a guarantee

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Step (1):
Turn off ALL valves in the poolroom.
Switch off the pump.
Fill the Balance Tank.
Leave it for a day, 2 days, whatever...
If it has lost water, it is possible that your balance tank is leaking
If it hasn't, then it isn't - in that case come back for step (2)

It won't do your pool any harm to be 'turned off' for a couple of days at this time of year, although you could find that the pump 'sticks' after sitting unused for an extended period - in that case, all it will probably need is a 'nudge' to get it going again.

davidthomas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by davidthomas »

Keithcaley

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure that you read my initial post.

As I said I removed and checked all the valves, replaced them and turned them off.
Two days later the balance tank was empty.

It was this that made me come to the conclusion that I had a leak.

I did not want advice on how to find out if I had a leak, this was obvious, I wanted advice on how the balance tank could be waterproofed and likely costs.

Kind Regards

David

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Sorry I missed the bit where you said "...and then closed them all".

I agree that it's most likely to be a leaky tank - the only other possibility would seem to be that the short section of pipe that runs from the balance tank to the poolroom has been fractured, possibly by movement of the ground, but this is unlikely.

As gates says, the first step is to clean and examine the walls and floor of the tank - the level where the water stopped falling should mark the lowest point of the leak. It does sound as though there may be a structural defect (crack ), rather than simply a lack of 'isolating material', and obviously that would need to be made sound before applying any more waterproofing.

I'm sure that gates will do a good job - he's been around for a good while now, you don't see complaints about him, and a bad reputation is easier to acquire than a good one!

Hope the job goes well.
Last edited by Keithcaley on Sat 31 Jan 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

journey1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by journey1 »

HI
I had a similar problem last year and Best Dreams Property management company came out and repaired it all. It did require to be cleaned , all pieces checked and then skimmed. I have not had any problem since ( Thanks to Hatib of Best Dreams)
You will find their contact details on this forum - a super company to deal with.
Cheers

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

I simply drained my Balance Tank and let the walls dry, then tiled it with inexpensive, large white tiles. Not a difficult job really.

best-dreams

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by best-dreams »

Hi davidthomas,

We do several similar job,if you let me have your number, we can arrange and l can come around quote for you.

Best Regards;

Hatib Xhafolli
Director
Phone : 0533 843 8023
0548 872 1685
Viber : 0533 843 8023
Mail : [email protected]
[email protected]
Web : http://www.best-dreams.com

davidthomas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by davidthomas »

Thank you all for your replies. gates and best-dreams I will contact you both next week to arrange for you to come round and give me a quote.

davidthomas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by davidthomas »

Problem sorted out by best-dreams, an excellent company to deal with. Thank you to Hatib and his team.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”