Question re Paraband flea collars for dogs

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

SourBrandy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Question re Paraband flea collars for dogs

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by SourBrandy »

Just a question whether it`s my dog or other dogs – Had my little Cyrprus terrier given a summer hair cut on Saturday. Put her Paraband flea collar back on, which was at least two months old and within 36 hours she was suffering quite some discomfort and what appeared to be burns to her neck.
This happened over a year ago, after another summer clip, when I put a brand new collar on her, spoke to vet afterwards and he said to leave it out for 48 hours before putting it back on her, that was fine.
Just wondered if anyone else`s dogs had suffered the same problem.

Spud50
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Question re Paraband flea collars for dogs

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Spud50 »

When you open a new paraband you should leave it for about 3 days before you put it on. Perhaps it's the same when the dog has been clipped.

SourBrandy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by SourBrandy »

Thanks for that, but I thought that if the dog had been wearing it for two months. it would be OK. Still she`s getting better now. Who would have guessed that the collar would burn so much..... after two months being as they`re only supposed to last a month. Still, she doesn`t have fleas or ticks and hasn`t for a long time.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Paraband collars contain some powerful stuff. However I have had five dogs full time plus a couple fostered in Cyprus and have never experienced that reaction. I can only suggest (a) the trim meant that the collar was against bare skin as opposed to cushioned by hair and or ther collar was too tight. (b) did you shampoo as well as trim? Maybe the shampoo reacted with the paraband. (c) this dog is allergic or particularly sensitive to the chemicals in paraband. I can only suggest when she is healed you refit the collar very carefully checking for pinching and chafing and checking daily for anyreaction.

PS paraband are for protection against sand fly which causes Leishmania.. You still need Frontline or similar against fleas and ticks (see KAR Website)

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Two of our dogs reacted to them years ago , it was when the price leapt from about 10tl to 35tl and we have never used them since, at night we spray their bedroom like we do ours and at coming up 14 and 11 years old with a good financial history at the vets, worming, fleas and now their claws cut I can't moan too much about them.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

The sun may also be a factor. Cyprus Terriers (the white/cream ones with pale eyes and noses in particular) are particularly at risk to exposure to ultra violet, and for that reason should not be clipped too severely as the hair protects their skin. They do love to lie in the sun, though. Maybe yours had a little sun bathing after you refitted the collar and there was a interreaction.

snd what spray do you use, and whatare its allergic properies for humans and dogs?

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Ragged Robin wrote:snd what spray do you use, and whatare its allergic properies for humans and dogs?
Just the standard fluex green can, spray half an hour before we go to bed. As we live in the village, windows are closed against noise pollution.

SourBrandy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by SourBrandy »

Thanks RR and everybody else for very helpful replies. The collar was not tight but the clip was very close and she had a shampoo too, so I think she obviously has a reaction to the collar when her coat is very close, even though the collar was over two months old. Much better now. Will leave it another week before putting collar back on. Many thanks as always everybody.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I am so glad your little dog is recovering, Sour Brandy - I always wait a day or so after trimmming or shampooing before fitting or refitting paraban or other parisite treatment.

Cyprus Terriers are such lovely little dogs. I am still grieving for mine who had to be put to sleep, aged 20 years, just before last Christmas.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I am so glad your little dog is recovering, Sour Brandy - I always wait a day or so after trimmming or shampooing before fitting or refitting paraban or other parisite treatment.

Cyprus Terriers are such lovely little dogs. I am still grieving for mine who had to be put to sleep, aged 20 years, just before last Christmas.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”