SIM card registration?

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

SIM card registration?

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

I received the following text message from Turkcell (KKTCELL):

“Elektronik Haberlesme Yasasi geregi hattiniz kayitli olmadigi icin 07/11/2019 tarihinde kapatilacaktir. Hattinizin kullanimina devam etmek icin kimlik kartiniz ile Turkcell Iletisim Merkezlerinden sozlesme imzalamaniz gerekmektedir.”

Google translation:

“According to the Electronic Communication Act, your line will be closed on 07/11/2019 as it is not registered. In order to continue to use your line, you must sign an agreement with your ID card from Turkcell Communication Centers.”

This was for an iPhone bought locally in January 2018 using a pay-as-you-go SIM which I’ve had for what must be at least five years.

I went in to the Turkcell office in Girne (by George’s) and queried why I was getting this now.

The dear lady cast her eyes heavenwards then brought out a pad on which she filled in some details and which I then had to sign umpteen times. “New procedure.” she sighed. It looked like she was having to do this for lots of customers.

To be sure to be sure my wife took her phone in (though we’re not sure if she received the same message - she tends to delete messages in Turkish because most of them are trying to sell you something) and went through the same process.

Anyone else had to go through this?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: SIM card registration?

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I just got a text which says

After November 6, 2019, we expect you to contact Turkcell Communication Centers to sign your contract.

I've had this sim card for over 13 years

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...followed shortly by another message which says

CORRECTION: After 6.11.2019, we expect you to sign the contract to Turkcell Communication Centers to prevent your line from closing.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Yes I have had the same two messages as Keith. Guess I have to visit the Turkcell shop before November.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Interesting - is it a Turkcell-only thing? Or have any Telsim customers had similar? I'm fortunate in that as a swallow, I use my (long-held) UK vodafone PAYG sim (same rates as in UK). My phone was registered (using IMEI code) as it first came prior to April 2016, and having just checked again online, it is still showing as registered - just hope I don't get any text message now!

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

After registering I received this message:

“Your registration will be updated according to the information you provide. Thank you for your attention.”

Great, I thought. Then I received the same message as Keith:

“CORRECTION: After 6.11.2019, we expect you to sign the contract to Turkcell Communication Centers to prevent your line from closing.”

Back to the Turkcell office where the lady once again looked exasperated and basically told me to ignore it. My wife received the same confusing message after registering.

snail921
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by snail921 »

went yesterday to Laconic to top up. Was told that we needed to register. But it was registered by you when we bought it two years ago. Ah yes but this is for the sim card, new rules from government. So we completed a form, signed in six places, gave mother and fathers names, copy of passport. All done she said, that's it. The good news is that there was nothing to pay.
Regards
Brian

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

So does that mean we can go to
Laconic and sort it or traipse into Girne to Turkcell? It was probably the message I deleted today!

snail921
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by snail921 »

I'm not sure if it can be done at any provider but the folk at Alsancak Laconic seemed to be well geared up to deal with it so i imagine it can be done at any place dealing with turkcell business. What baffles me is why they need the names of my long-dead parents, neither of whom would have known what a sim card was
Regards
Brian

Mint1955
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mint1955 »

I was told any Turkcell shop. What I forgot to ask was what about the swallows who have already left and won’t be back now until April etc and won’t have got the message will they lose their numbers ?

Hellsbells
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Hellsbells »

[quote="Mint1955"]I was told any Turkcell shop. What I forgot to ask was what about the swallows who have already left and won’t be back now until April etc and won’t have got the message will they lose their numbers ?[/quote

As I am a swallow currently not in the TRNC I messaged Turkcell to enquire how I can register my SIM card. They advised that it has to be done in person and as long as I keep my phone number active (by topping up the account regularly) I can deal with the registration when I am next back in the country. They have stated that my phone number should be retained.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I asked the Muhtat why they need mother and fathers name. simple really there may be someone with the same name as you but they wouldnt have the same parents name its just to make sure you are who you say you are.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

That makes sense Deniz1, always seemed a bit strange to me that they just wanted parents first names and not surnames too.

Bonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Bonnie »

Called at the Turkcell shop opposite the China Bazar (Karakum)
Told waiting for forms call back in an hour.
Returned later prearmed with the information they were likely to ask for written out for them to copy ie: name, address, phone no, parents names mothers maiden name & of course passport.
This helped to process to go more quickly. They were handing out paper to those behind me in the queue to write out these details
Like many others we've had the tel no for over 10yrs and gave all this information then. Then a few years ago also had to send a text to keep your line open
However you need to comply with the rules & regulations of whatever country you decide to reside in.
A lot of extra work for the staff in the Turkcell offices

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Parents surnames wouldnt be the same if you are a married woman.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Deniz1 wrote:Parents surnames wouldnt be the same if you are a married woman.
Your parents' surname(s) might not be the same as yours after you married, but their first names would be the same as they were before you married

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Of course they would im not stupid.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Deniz1 wrote:Of course they would im not stupid.The question asked was why not the surnames too.
Sorry Deniz, I didn't mean to be condescending, I just didn't understand your comment!

'Perhaps' it's because they think that first names are enough - but that's only a guess, I suppose that someone would need to ask them that question directly...

Sorry once again...

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”