Help Please Re. Phone Registration.

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Help Please Re. Phone Registration.

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Can anyone advise please where about in Lefkosa you got to register your UK purchased mobile and what documentation you need. Directions and any other info.

Thank You.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Help Please Re. Phone Registration.

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

OK thank you.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Good luck Lee, be prepared for a fun day

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Frontalman, you are so so correct, I am dreading it , cant even work out where to go from the map.

I have just posted a similar comment on the forum re importing cars.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Frontalman, sorted it ,not as bad as expected and all the staff concerned were very helpful. So now we wait 24 hours and hopefully the phone will be activated.

I took the Valium with me just in case, but have managed to come back with fingernails in tact. In fact the only thing that gave me grief was my Auto gearbox, Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Bit of an update on location:

It is no longer located in the same building as Domino's but in a bungalow located just behind the car park behind Domino's. You still walk down the side of Domino's just a bit further and no stairs. Registration and customs are located in same building, just complete a form (available in Turkish and English) and take a ticket for registration. All that is required is your passport, the phone and 14.71TL to register. Once you have your documents, take another ticket for customs where you present the paperwork, phone and pay your dues. Afterwards take all the paperwork (1 green form and 2 white/blue forms attached to each other) to your service provider, pay their fee (6TL for Turkcell) and they said phone would be ok from 9pm, it's working now. There was no queue at around 11.15 this morning but if there is there are 2 waiting rooms.

bugsy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by bugsy »

went to register my phone yesterday,arrived at 11 30,a nice young man helped me with my form ,went in 1st office then waited 5 mins to pay tax which was 150 lira for a samsung galaxy 6 all finished in 15 minutes,great service and very friendly and helpful.

6M's
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by 6M's »

What's not widely clear is that folks coming on frequent hols to Turkey or 'TRNC' can get caught on by the registration requirement .. Come in October and then April for some sun and 'bingo' - non working mobile phones

I bring a different MiFi device each time and have a UK landline tel number that works to get around the blocking

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Buying a new MiFi every few months.....ouch! Could turn out to be more expensive than registering and paying the tax surely, or am I missing something?

Do old style non-smart phones have to be registered and incur the tax?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike wrote:Buying a new MiFi every few months.....ouch! Could turn out to be more expensive than registering and paying the tax surely, or am I missing something?

He didn't say that he was BUYING 'em

My understanding is that if the 'phone was used in TRNC prior to the introduction of the Tax, then it is exempt, but would still need to be registered if passport details etc were not submited when the SIM card was originally purchased.

There may be a few more 'twists and turns' in the legislation which haven't become generally known as yet, but you should receive a text from Turkcell or Telsim advising you that you need to do 'something' - if you don't get a text, don't worry! - and the duty payable on an old feature 'phone would be negligible.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:
alphamike wrote:Buying a new MiFi every few months.....ouch! Could turn out to be more expensive than registering and paying the tax surely, or am I missing something?

He didn't say that he was BUYING 'em

My understanding is that if the 'phone was used in TRNC prior to the introduction of the Tax, then it is exempt, but would still need to be registered if passport details etc were not submited when the SIM card was originally purchased.

There may be a few more 'twists and turns' in the legislation which haven't become generally known as yet, but you should receive a text from Turkcell or Telsim advising you that you need to do 'something' - if you don't get a text, don't worry! - and the duty payable on an old feature 'phone would be negligible.
No mention of buying, will give you that. An expensive option though, if buying, compared to registering, if you
want to keep the same SIM card.

Doesn't affect me personally, as my current phone was obviously in use, as have never received any texts, and it still works. I have another much older phone, which was kept as a back up, but never tried it out with my SIM card to see what happens. Must look it out and try, unless someone tells me that I shouldn't for any reason.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

I don't removing the SIM card and trying it in another phone is a good idea. When I did that the card would not workin the original phone. Maybe it was just me or maybe it cancels the card.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

pc4854 wrote:I don't removing the SIM card and trying it in another phone is a good idea. When I did that the card would not workin the original phone. Maybe it was just me or maybe it cancels the card.
I will leave well alone then, as it's bound to go wrong for me too. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”